Love Is Lost
|"Love Is Lost"|
|Single by David Bowie|
|from the album The Next Day|
4:10 (James Murphy Remix Edit)
10:26 (James Murphy Remix)
|David Bowie singles chronology|
"Love Is Lost" is a song by English rock musician David Bowie from his album The Next Day. James Murphy's "Hello Steve Reich Mix for the DFA" was released as the fifth single from Bowie's 24th studio album The Next Day as a promotion for The Next Day Extra, a special edition of bonus tracks, remixes, and music videos. The remix version of the song contains a sample of "Ashes to Ashes", a song by David Bowie released in 1980.
A 12" limited edition white vinyl version of single was released on 16 December and also included the Venetian Mix of "I'd Rather Be High" (also from The Next Day), a song that was also featured in Louis Vuitton's high profile "Voyage" campaign, which included Bowie himself in a leading role.
"I'd Rather Be High" received a new anti-war video from Bowie in November and was added to the playlists of UK's Absolute Radio, BBC Radio 6 and BBC Radio 2 in December 2013.
- "Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA - Edit)" (Bowie) – 4:10
- "I'd Rather Be High (Venetian Mix)" (Bowie) - 3:49
- "Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA)" (Bowie) – 10:26
Assisted by photographer Jimmy King and long-time personal assistant Corinne "Coco" Schwab, Bowie wrote, shot, and edited the music video himself for a cost of US$12.99, the cost of the flash drive he had to buy to save the video on his camera. Done over the course of 72 hours, the entire video was recorded by Bowie in his Manhattan apartment during the weekend prior to its Internet release. The wooden puppets of Pierrot and The Thin White Duke were produced by Jim Henson's Creature Shop for an unfinished and unreleased music video for "The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell". The price of these puppets was not included in the video budget.
Barnaby Roper directed the video for the 10-minute remix. It contains polygons and wireframes that eventually form into a nude couple embracing.
- David Bowie: Lead Vocals, Organ
- Gerry Leonard: Guitar
- Gail Ann Dorsey: Bass Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Sterling Campbell: Drums
- Jacobs, Matthew (31 October 2013), "David Bowie's 'Love Is Lost' Video Cost $12.99", The Huffington Post, retrieved 1 November 2013
- "Watch Bowie’s $12.99 Love Is Lost video here now", davidbowie.com, 31 October 2013, retrieved 4 November 2013
- Anderson, Kyle (31 October 2013), "David Bowie drops creepy 'Love Is Lost' video for Halloween: Watch it here", Entertainment Weekly, retrieved 1 November 2013
|This 2010s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|