Love Is Lost
|"Love Is Lost"|
|Single by David Bowie|
|from the album The Next Day|
|A-side||"James Murphy Remix"|
|Released||16 December 2013|
|Recorded||The Magic Shop
(New York, New York)
|Length||3:57 (original album version)
10:24 (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA full version)
4:07 (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA edit version)
|David Bowie singles chronology|
|"Love Is Lost" (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA - Edit
"Love Is Lost" (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA)
"Love Is Lost" is a song by English rock musician David Bowie from his album The Next Day. James Murphy's "Hello Steve Reich Mix for the DFA" was released as the fifth single from Bowie's 24th studio album The Next Day as a promotion for The Next Day Extra, a special edition of bonus tracks, remixes, and music videos. The remix version of the song contains cut and looped samples from a new recording of Steve Reich's 1972 piece "Clapping Music" performed by Murphy and three other musicians, plus a sample from Bowie's 1980 hit "Ashes to Ashes."
A 12" limited edition white vinyl version of single was released on 16 December, which included the remix by James Murphy and the Venetian Mix of "I'd Rather Be High" (also from The Next Day), a song that was also featured in Louis Vuitton's high-profile "Voyage" campaign, which included Bowie himself in a leading role.
"I'd Rather Be High" received a new anti-war video from Bowie in November and was added to the playlists of UK's Absolute Radio, BBC Radio 6 and BBC Radio 2 in December 2013.
Assisted by photographer Jimmy King and long-time personal assistant Corinne "Coco" Schwab, Bowie wrote, shot, and edited the music video himself for a cost of US$12.99, the cost of the flash drive he had to buy to save the video on his camera. Done over the course of 72 hours, the entire video was recorded by Bowie in his Manhattan apartment during the weekend prior to its Internet release. The wooden puppets of Pierrot and The Thin White Duke were produced by Jim Henson's Creature Shop for an unfinished and unreleased music video for "The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell". The price of these puppets was not included in the video budget.
Barnaby Roper directed the video for the 10-minute remix. It contains polygons and wireframes that eventually form into a nude couple embracing.
|1.||"Love Is Lost" (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA)||10:24|
|1.||"I'd Rather Be High" (Venetian Mix)||3:49|
|2.||"Love Is Lost" (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA)||4:07|
- David Bowie – lead vocals, organ
- Sterling Campbell – drums
- Gail Ann Dorsey – bass guitar, backing vocals
- Gerry Leonard – guitar
- James Murphy, Matthew Thornley, Hisham Bharoocha and Jordan Hebert - "clapping chorus" (remix versions)
|Europe||16 December 2013||
- Nolan, Paul (14 March 2013). "David Bowie - The Next Day". Hot Press. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- Scott, Ben P. (5 March 2013). "David Bowie – The Next Day (Iso Records)". God Is in the TV Zine. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Hyden, Steven (11 March 2013). "The Next Day: David Bowie's Big Return Is Whatever You Need It to Be". Grantland. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Jacobs, Matthew (31 October 2013), "David Bowie's 'Love Is Lost' Video Cost $12.99", The Huffington Post, retrieved 1 November 2013
- "David Bowie – Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix By James Murphy For The DFA) (Vinyl)". Discogs. Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "Watch Bowie’s $12.99 Love Is Lost video here now", davidbowie.com, 31 October 2013, retrieved 4 November 2013
- Flint, Hanna (31 October 2013), "Spitting image: David Bowie cradles harlequin puppet in new video, Love Is Lost, which looks just like his 1980 alter-ego", Daily Mail UK, retrieved 1 November 2013
- Anderson, Kyle (31 October 2013), "David Bowie drops creepy 'Love Is Lost' video for Halloween: Watch it here", Entertainment Weekly, retrieved 1 November 2013
- Gottlieb, Steven (15 November 2013). "David Bowie 'Love Is Lost' (Barnaby Roper, dir.)". VideoStatic. Retrieved 13 November 2015.