Love Me or Leave Me (film)
|Love Me or Leave Me|
|Directed by||Charles Vidor|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Written by||Daniel Fuchs
|Music by||Chilton Price|
|Cinematography||Arthur E. Arling|
|Edited by||Ralph E. Winters|
|Box office||$5.6 million|
Love Me or Leave Me is a 1955 biographical romantic musical drama film which tells the life story of Ruth Etting, a singer who rose from dancer to movie star. It stars Doris Day as Etting, James Cagney as gangster Martin "Moe the Gimp" Snyder, her first husband and manager, and Cameron Mitchell as pianist/arranger Myrl Alderman, her second husband. It was written by Daniel Fuchs and Isobel Lennart. It was directed by Charles Vidor.
Cagney suggested to producer Joe Pasternak that Doris Day be cast in the Etting role. The role had been sought by Ava Gardner (singing probably dubbed by Jo Ann Greer) and Jane Russell, but Cagney persuaded MGM to cast Doris Day, who was excited to play opposite Cagney.
Love Me or Leave Me won the Academy Award for Best Writing, Motion Picture Story, and was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role (James Cagney), Best Music, Scoring of a Musical Picture, Best Music, Song (for Nicholas Brodzsky and Sammy Cahn for "I'll Never Stop Loving You"), Best Sound, Recording (Wesley C. Miller) and Best Writing, Screenplay.
Most of the songs in the movie were 1930s hits that Etting had recorded originally. Two new songs, however, were written specifically for the film: "Never Look Back", by Chilton Price, and, "I'll Never Stop Loving You", by Nicholas Brodzsky and Sammy Cahn.
The songs as they appear in the film (all sung by Doris Day except as shown):
- Ten Cents a Dance
- I'm Sitting on Top of the World (sung by Claude Stroud)
- It All Depends On You
- You Made Me Love You
- Stay On the Right Side Sister
- Everybody Loves My Baby (But My Baby Loves Nobody But Me)
- Mean To Me
- Sam, the Old Accordion Man
- Shaking the Blues Away (sung by Doris Day, danced by Doris Day and Chorus)
- I'll Never Stop Loving You
- Never Look Back
- Five Foot Two, Eyes of Blue
- At Sundown
- My Blue Heaven
- Love Me or Leave Me
- Doris Day as Ruth Etting
- James Cagney as Martin Snyder
- Cameron Mitchell as Johnny Alderman
- Robert Keith as Bernard V. Loomis
- Tom Tully as Frobisher
- Harry Bellaver as Georgie
- Richard Gaines as Paul Hunter
- Peter Leeds as Fred Taylor
- Claude Stroud as Eddie Fulton
- Audrey Young as Jingle Girl
- John Harding as Greg Trent
According to MGM records the film earned $4,035,000 in the US and Canada and $1,597,000 elsewhere, resulting in a profit of $595,000. Love Me or Leave Me was the eighth ranked movie in 1955.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- For domestic take see also 'The Top Box-Office Hits of 1955', Variety Weekly, January 25, 1956
- "The 28th Academy Awards (1956) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- Variety's review Posted: Sat., Jan. 1, 1955
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|