Love Myself (campaign)
|Formation||November 1, 2017|
|Founded at||South Korea|
|BTS, UNICEF (Korea and Japan)|
Love Myself (stylised as LOVE MYSELF) is a two-year, anti-violence campaign launched on November 1, 2017 by South Korean boy band BTS in partnership with the Korean and Japan Committee for UNICEF. The campaign idea was introduced by the group as a sponsorship to #ENDviolence, a UNICEF global campaign aimed at the protection of young people so they can live without the fear of violence, and promotes the hashtag – #BTSLoveMyself, which asks fans and supporters to post self-loving photos with the hashtag to different social media platforms.
Love Myself made BTS the first artist in South Korea to raise funds as part of a social fund for global campaigns.
BTS' discography focuses heavily on themes such as mental health issues, suicide, nihilism, the K-pop idol system, and female empowerment. In September 2017, their fifth extended play, Love Yourself: Her, which featured themes of love, loss, friendship, and death, was released. As with past EPs and albums, BTS continued to promote social messages in the new songs.
BTS and their label, Big Hit Entertainment, started working on the campaign in early 2017 and hoped to help with their social influence in action. In November 2017, BTS and the Korean Committee for UNICEF announced their partnership, supporting both their Love Myself campaign and UNICEF's #ENDviolence campaign. Since then, BTS began promoting the campaign and raising the Love Myself funds. Official merchandise for the campaign was released and made available for purchase through BTS' online store.
As of January 17, 2018, global accumulated funds received for the campaign totaled around 106 million KRW. Overall, around KR₩ 606 million was raised. The #BTSLoveMyself hashtag has been used across social media over 2 million times. In November 2018 it was announced that over KR₩ 1.6 billion had been raised by the organization, or $1.4 million USD.
- KR₩ 500 million donated by Big Hit Entertainment and the seven members of BTS
- 3% of all income from physical album sales of the Love Yourself series, including Love Yourself: Her, Love Yourself: Tear and Love Yourself: Answer
- 100% of all sales of official Love Myself campaign goods
- Part of the income from the sales of official KakaoTalk Give-ticon and LINE stickers for the Love Myself campaign
- Kakao’s contribution platform “Together Value with Kakao”
- Naver’s online donation platform “Happy Bean”
- Donations received through donation desks installed by UNICEF
The proceeds will be used to support young victims of school violence, domestic violence and sexual assault around the world. As well as education programs for local communities to aid violence prevention.
- "방탄소년단X유니세프, 韓최초 글로벌 프로젝트 론칭" (in Korean). Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- News, ABS-CBN. "K-pop group BTS launches anti-violence campaign with UNICEF". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "世界的ヒップホップボーイズグループ BTS (防弾少年団) が応援する 子ども、青少年に対する暴力の撲滅を目指す ユニセフ#ENDviolenceキャンペーン". 日本ユニセフ協会（ユニセフ日本委員会） (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "BTS Partners With UNICEF on 'Love Myself' Anti-Violence Campaign". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- MYSELF, LOVE (January 24, 2018). "Love Myself, and Love Others. We are all worth being loved by everyone including ourselves. Start this by posting your own self-loving photo with #BTSLoveMyself hashtag". @bts_love_myself. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "#ENDviolence - LOVE MYSELF". LOVE MYSELF (in Korean). Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "BTS: K-Pop's Social Conscience". Fuse. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "BTS' 11 Most Socially Conscious Songs Before 'Go Go'". Billboard. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "BTS' Anti-Violence Campaign For Children". GRAMMY.com. November 1, 2017. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "유니세프-방탄소년단과 함께하는 #ENDviolence 프로젝트ㅣ유니세프한국위원회". www.unicef.or.kr (in Korean). Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "#BTSLoveMyself Campaign Merchandise Revealed". MACG Magazine. December 6, 2017. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "방탄소년단, 착한 이모티콘 '기브티콘'으로 기부". 방탄소년단, 착한 이모티콘 '기브티콘'으로 기부 (in Korean). January 30, 2018. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "방탄소년단X모바일 플랫폼, 전 세계 '기부 참여' 이끈다 - 뉴스 - enews24". enews24.tving.com/ (in Korean). Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "LOVE MYSELF partnered with Japan Committee for UNICEF, expanding the campaign globally - LOVE MYSELF". LOVE MYSELF (in Korean). 2018-06-08. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "K-pop band BTS addresses United Nations wth plea to young people". ABC News. 2018-09-25. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "Watch BTS Address the United Nations With an Emotional Speech About Self-Acceptance". Vogue. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "방탄소년단 '러브 마이셀프' 캠페인, 전 세계 모금액 6억 돌파" (in Korean). Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- MYSELF, LOVE (January 17, 2018). "We have come this far since November 1 2017". @bts_love_myself (in Korean). Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Herman, Tamar (November 2, 2018). "BTS' UNICEF 'Love Myself' Campaign Raises Over $1.4 Million". Billboard. Retrieved November 5, 2018.
- "BTS Collaborates with UNICEF on 'Love Myself' Anti-Violence Campaign". Billboard. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- "About LOVE MYSELF - LOVE MYSELF". LOVE MYSELF (in Korean). Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- "BTS "LOVE MYSELF" – LINE stickers | LINE STORE". LINE STORE. Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "BTS LOVE MYSELF". e.kakao.com (in Korean). Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "폭력없는 세상, 함께 만들어요!". 같이가치 with Kakao (in Korean). Retrieved February 13, 2018.
- "네이버 함께N : 네이버 블로그". blog.naver.com (in Korean). Retrieved February 13, 2018.