Love Sick (film)
|Directed by||Tudor Giurgiu|
|Produced by||Tudor Giurgiu|
|Written by||Razvan Radulescu
|Music by||Vlaicu Golcea|
|Edited by||Alexandru Radu|
|Distributed by||Transilvania Film|
|13 February 2006 (Germany)
17 March 2006 (Romania)
8 June 2006 (U.S.)
1 April 2007 (UK)
Love Sick (Romanian: Legături bolnăvicioase, "Sickly relationships") is a 2006 Romanian drama film directed by Tudor Giurgiu. It is a lesbian-themed love story that has been compared to My Summer of Love.
Alex and Cristina (Kiki) are university students who end up living in the same building. Their friendship develops quickly, overcoming several phases, from fellowship to care and tenderness. While the two are very different, the two girls get along fine, except for the moments when a third character shows up — Sandu. Kiki’s brother is permanently tormented by an unnatural jealousy which implies an incestuous liaison between the two siblings.
Unlike other recent Romanian films, it is not a reflection on Romania's communist or post-communist history; the country is merely a background for the different relationships.
- Maria Popistasu as Kiki
- Ioana Barbu as Alex
- Tudor Chirila as Sandu
- Catalina Murgea as Mrs. Benes
- Mircea Diaconu as Mr. Dragnea
- Virginia Mirea as Mrs. Dragnea
- Tora Vasilescu as Mrs. Parvulescu
- Valentin Popescu as Mr. Parvulescu
- Mihai Dinvale as Prof. Mihailescu
- Carmen Tanase as Waitress
- Puya as Taxi driver
- Mihaela Radulescu as Mrs. Negulescu
- Robert Paschall Jr. as Bo
- Love Sick shared the grand jury prize in November 2006 at the 19th edition of the Image+Nation Festival, Montreal, Canada's LGBT Film Festival.
- Actress Maria Popistasu won Jury Special Award for Performance at the 'Anonimul' International Film Festival in Romania.
- Actress Ioana Barbu won Best Actress at the Pécs International Film Festival.
It premiered at the 2006 Berlin International Film Festival as part of the Teddy Awards. It went on to appear at a number of international film festivals including the Seattle International Film Festival and the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival.
- Muss, Lucy (2006-02-20). "Age of innocence". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- "Love Sick by Tudor Giurgiu". Libra Film. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- Têtu, July–August 2007 issue, page 26
- Image+Nation Festival Audience Choice Awards for 2006
- Romanian Film Festival
- "Diary 2006". Teddy Award. Retrieved 2007-07-27.
- "Films / Love Sick". Seattle International Film Festival. Retrieved 2007-07-27.