|Directed by||Tabrez Noorani|
Niels Bye Nielsen|
A. R. Rahman
|Edited by||Martin Singer|
|Distributed by||Zee Studios|
Love Sonia is a 2018 Indian film directed by Tabrez Noorani and produced by David Womark. The film features newcomer Mrunal Thakur as the title character along with Riya Sisodiya, Freida Pinto, Demi Moore, Manoj Bajpayee, Richa Chadda, Anupam Kher, Adil Hussain, Rajkummar Rao, and Sai Tamhankar. Love Sonia had its world premiere at the London Indian Film Festival on 21 June 2018.The film was released in India on 14 September, 2018.
The film is the harrowing account of two sisters robbed of their innocence when one is sold by her debt-ridden father, and the other follows after her in the hope of rescuing her but becomes trapped in the flesh trade herself.
- Mrunal Thakur as Sonia
- Freida Pinto as Rashmi
- Sai Tamhankar as Anjali
- Mark Duplass
- Manoj Bajpayee as Faizal
- Rajkummar Rao as Manish
- Richa Chadda as Madhuri
- Riya Sisodiya as Preeti
- Anupam Kher as Baldev Singh
- Adil Hussain as Shiva
- Demi Moore as Selma
- Sunny Pawar as Bang Bang
Tabrez Noorani was inspired to make Love Sonia after he was introduced to Human Trafficking in Los Angeles in 2003, when some girls were found in a shipping container from China. One of them was a young Indian girl. The incident inspired Noorani to work with non-governmental organizations focused on trafficking in Los Angeles. He has also participated in several brothel raids. Noorani and Womark met on Ang Lee's Life of Pi and have been working on the project for three years.
Mrunal Thakur was cast in the title role after a year long search of over 1,500 girls.
- "'Love Sonia' trailer: A teenager travels the world to rescue her sister from trafficking". 23 August 2018. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- "Richa Chadda bags international project". The Times of India. 15 April 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Frieda Pinto, Anupam Kher to star in sex-trafficking movie". The Indian Express. 14 April 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- "Good time for women-oriented films: Richa Chadda". 10 October 2017.
- "Opening Night GALA - Love Sonia". London Indian Film Festival.
- "'Love Sonia'is hard-hitting story that deals with human trafficking". Times of India. 17 August 2018. Retrieved 18 August 2018.
- "Demi Moore e Mark Duplass confirmados no elenco do drama 'Love Sonia'". Film PT (in Portuguese). 5 July 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Manoj Bajpayee says his character in Demi Moore's Love Sonia will raise bar of negative roles". The Indian Express. 13 October 2016. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "From Freida Pinto and Richa Chadha to Demi Moore and Rajkummar Rao – Meet the cast of 'Love Sonia'". Clapsnslaps. 18 July 2016. Archived from the original on 20 October 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Freida Pinto shoots in Mumbai". The Times of India. Times News Network. 23 May 2016. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "Indian sex trafficking film is 'a story that needs to be told'". Reuters. 2016-04-15. Retrieved 2016-04-20.
- Jr, Mike Fleming. "'Slumdog's Tabrez Noorani Sets Sex Trafficking Exposé 'Love Sonia' For India Shoot; Frieda Pinto, Anupam Kher Star". Deadline. Retrieved 2016-04-20.