Love Thy Neighbor (TV series)
|Love Thy Neighbor|
|Created by||Tyler Perry|
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Theme music composer||Elvin D. Ross|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||118 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Tyler Perry|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Tyler Perry Studios|
|Original network||Oprah Winfrey Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||May 29, 2013– August 19, 2017|
Love Thy Neighbor is an American television sitcom broadcast from May 29, 2013 to August 19, 2017 on the Oprah Winfrey Network. The series is written, directed and executive produced by Tyler Perry. It also acquired the second highest-rated series premiere on the Oprah Winfrey Network, after another Perry program, The Haves and the Have Nots.
The second season of the series premiered on Wednesday, January 8, 2014. The third season of Love Thy Neighbor premiered on Wednesday, January 7, 2015. The fourth season of the series premiered on Friday, January 8, 2016, while the second half premiered on July 1, 2016. OWN announced the fifth and final season, which premiered on Saturday, March 4, 2017. The second half of the series premiered on July 29, 2017. The series concluded on August 19, 2017, ending with 118 episodes in total.
Love Thy Neighbor is a half-hour sitcom revolving around diner owner Hattie Mae Love and her middle-class family's daily triumphs and struggles. The focal point of the show is a location known as the Love Train Diner, an old locomotive car converted to a diner that serves up all of Hattie Mae’s old recipes. It is the neighborhood hang out spot that, along with great food, serves up a whole lot of fun and offers advice to its customers in all walks of life. It also deals with all the drama that Linda faces in her life from bad husbands, to bad boyfriends, to good ones to having a baby girl.
Cast and characters
- Patrice Lovely as Hattie Mae Love, Linda's cantankerous mother and owner of the Love Train Diner. Hattie is the most vivacious 75-year-old woman you'll ever meet[according to whom?] and although she cares deeply for her daughter and grandson she is a strong believer in "tough love". She said that "Linda was so mad she piss her pants". As revealed in the 2016 horror comedy film Boo! A Madea Halloween, Hattie is in a relationship with Madea's brother, Joe Simmons.
- Palmer Williams Jr. as Floyd Stanley Jackson (from House of Payne), is Linda and Danny's uncle, through his late brother’s marriage to Hattie. Floyd is often jovial and sarcastic, he is the superintendent of the apartment building where Danny and his friends live, but he also works at the diner. (At the end of many Tyler Perry plays that Williams has been in, Perry has told him he's "gotta get him his own show".)
- Kendra C. Johnson as Linda Mae Love-Harris, Hattie's daughter and Danny's mother. Despite going through a divorce with her ex-husband Lionel, Linda is often optimistic and cheerful. She is not particularly skilled at anything, but begins working at the diner in episode 6. In the season 2 finale, she becomes pregnant with Phillip's child. She is clueless of her feelings for Phillip until he doesn't return the ones he earlier had. She is furious that her son got married to Troy in Vegas and has hatred for her ever since. In the season 3 finale, her water breaks in the diner, but it turns out she was so mad at Danny she wet her pants. In Season 4, according to Hattie, she married Phillip while in the hospital when she thought she was in labor. In Season 5, Linda gave birth to a beautiful, baby girl named Celina.
- Andre Hall as Danny Harris , Linda's 24-year-old son and Hattie's grandson. Danny is an industrious, sensitive, and straight-laced young man who could be considered a "mama's boy", since he's very protective of his mother. He begins work at the internet design firm Beagal and Steve after some persuasion from his best friends, Sam and Drew. He is happy about the idea of his mom getting remarried because of the person. He knows about Drew's crush on him, but he doesn't feel the same. He takes care of and watches over her cousin Troy for her while she goes out of town. Danny and Troy fall in love and later get married in Vegas in the season 3 finale. In season 4, he struggles to balance a bonded relationship between his mother and his wife.
- Zulay Henao as Marianna Perez (season 1), just moved from Chicago to Atlanta, where she is the manager of the Atlanta office of Beagal and Steve. Henao confirmed via Twitter that she will not appear in the second season. Due to Henao's absence, she had already began production of Perry's 2014 film The Single Moms Club and its television adaption If Loving You is Wrong.
- Jonathan Chase as Sam Parker, a self-proclaimed "wild man", Sam is Danny's immature, irresponsible, and selfish best friend, coworker and roommate who sleeps with practically any girl he finds hot, and parties almost every night (however, this is put to a stop in episode 12). He is very attracted to Marianna (however, the feelings are not mutual). In season 5, Sam falls for Drew and proposes to her in the series finale ("True Feelings").
- Darmirra Brunson as Drew Scott, Danny's friend and coworker, who also happens to have a crush on him. She lived with Marianna in her freshman year at college and has hated her since, because she was the "coat rack" at all the parties. She is also the cousin of Troy, who is Danny's wife.
- Tony Grant as Philip (season 3–5, main; 2, recurring), a man with a crush on Linda who has two kids with his first wife. He kissed Linda many times while she was already in a relationship. After Linda's last boyfriend hurt her, she went to see Phillip and they have sex. She dumps him the next day. Later, Linda becomes pregnant with his child. In the season 3 finale, he asks Linda to marry him. He was a recurring character in season 2, but became a part of main cast in season 3. During season 3B, he asked Linda to move in with him. In Season 4, they got married while in the hospital.
- Leigh-Ann Rose as Troy (season 4–5, main; 3, recurring), Drew's cousin, who Danny quickly falls hard for towards the end of the third season. In the season 3 finale, Troy marries Danny in Vegas with Hattie witnessing the whole thing. Season 4 chronicles Troy's struggles to build a relationship with her new mother-in-law, Linda, as well as her marital struggles with Danny; and his friend Sam, and her cousin Drew. She was a recurring character towards the end of the third season. Beginning with season 4, she became a part of the main cast.
It was announced on August 21, 2013, that OWN had renewed the series for a second season of 26 episodes, bringing Love Thy Neighbor to a total of 52 episodes in total. Season 2 of Love Thy Neighbor premiered on January 8, 2014, and the season finale aired on September 10, 2014. Season 3 of Love Thy Neighbor premiered on January 7, 2015, and the season finale aired on July 31, 2015. On February 27, 2015, the series was renewed for the fourth season, and premiered on Friday, January 8, 2016, and the mid-season finale aired on February 12, 2016. Season 4B premiered on July 1, 2016 and aired until September 2, 2016. The fifth and final season premiered on Saturday, March 4, 2017. The second half premiered on July 29, 2017. The series ended on August 19, 2017 on OWN.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||26||May 29, 2013||August 21, 2013|
|2||26||January 8, 2014||September 10, 2014|
|3||22||January 7, 2015||July 31, 2015|
|4||22||January 8, 2016||September 2, 2016|
|5||22||March 4, 2017||August 19, 2017|
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 5, 2013). "OWN Announces New Original Programming for 2013 and Closes Out 2012 With Double-Digit Ratings Gains". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- Molloy, Tim (January 5, 2013). "OWN Announces Tyler Perry's Answer to 'Downton Abbey'". Yahoo!. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- Kissell, Rick (May 30, 2013). "TV Ratings – 'Love Thy Neighbor' Off to a Promising Start On OWN". Variety. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Stanhope, Kate (January 5, 2013). "OWN Schedules Downton-Like Drama From Tyler Perry; Oprah to Interview Whitney Houston's Mom". TV Guide. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- John Schneider Among Actors Cast In Tyler Perry’s Two OWN Series
- "Highlighted Role; Gorgeous 25-30 Year Old Female For A SAG-AFTRA Pilot (Shaunda G Jones Casting/ Tyler Perry Directing)". CAZT. Archived from the original on February 15, 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- Henao, Zulay (January 8, 2014). "#LoveThyNeighbor fans! Sadly because of scheduling conflicts I couldn't join my amazing cast this season:( But I will be watching! #Family". Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 21, 2013). "OWN Doubles Episode Order of Tyler Perry's Popular Comedy 'Love Thy Neighbor'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 15, 2016.