Love and Monsters (film)
|Love and Monsters|
|Directed by||Michael Matthews|
|Story by||Brian Duffield|
|Music by||Marco Beltrami|
|Edited by||Debbie Berman|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Love and Monsters is an upcoming post-apocalyptic action romantic comedy film directed by Michael Matthews, with Shawn Levy and Dan Cohen serving as producers. The film stars Dylan O'Brien, Michael Rooker, Ariana Greenblatt and Jessica Henwick.
Seven years after the Monsterpocalypse, Joel Dawson (Dylan O’Brien), along with the rest of humanity, has been living underground ever since giant creatures took control of the land. After reconnecting over radio with his high school girlfriend Aimee (Jessica Henwick), who is now 80 miles away at a coastal colony, Joel begins to fall for her again. As Joel realizes that there’s nothing left for him underground, he decides against all logic to venture out to Aimee, despite the dangerous monsters that stand in his way.
- Dylan O'Brien as Joel Dawson, Aimee's boyfriend, Pauline and Mr. Dawson’s son
- Michael Rooker as Clyde Dutton, an expert hunter
- Ariana Greenblatt as Minnow
- Jessica Henwick as Aimee, Joel's girlfriend
- Dan Ewing as Cap
- Donnie Baxter as Parker
- Ellen Hollman as Dana
In June 2012, it was announced that Paramount Pictures was developing the film Monster Problems, with Shawn Levy producing, based on a spec script by Brian Duffield. It was described as a post-apocalyptic road movie in the vein of Mad Max and Zombieland with a John Hughes-esque love story.
In October 2018, it was announced that Dylan O'Brien was in talks to star. By March 2019, Michael Rooker and Ariana Greenblatt had joined O'Brien, with Michael Matthews directing the film. In April 2019, it was announced that Jessica Henwick had joined the cast. In the same month, Australian actor Dan Ewing joined the film in a supporting role. Principal photography started in Gold Coast on March 25, 2019, and ended in May 2019.
In August 2020, Paramount announced the film would forgo a theatrical release and instead be released via video on demand on October 16, 2020. The film's title was also changed to Love and Monsters.
- "Dylan O'Brien's Monster Problems, Clifford Backed by Paramount, eOne". Variety. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- Kit, Borys. "Paramount Developing Post-Apocalyptic Road Movie with Shawn Levy (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Kit, Borys (October 22, 2018). "Dylan O'Brien in Talks to Star in 'Monster Problems' for Paramount Players". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (March 20, 2019). "Michael Rooker Set To Star In Monster Problems For Paramount Players". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 22, 2019). "Ariana Greenblatt Joins Dylan O'Brien In Paramount Players' Monster Problems". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (April 1, 2019). "'Iron Fist' Actress Jessica Henwick Joins Dylan O'Brien in 'Monster Problems' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- Sneider, Jeff (April 11, 2019). "Exclusive: 'Home and Away' Star Dan Ewing Joins Dylan O'Brien in Monster Problems". Collider. Retrieved April 11, 2019.
- "QUEENSLAND'S GOT MONSTER PROBLEMS | Ausfilm".
- "Monster Problems to be filmed in Queensland". Mumbrella. February 10, 2019.
- Pendersen, Erik (October 23, 2019). "Monster Problems: Paramount Moves Dylan O'Brien Pic To Pre-Summer Slot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- "Controversial Gang Saga 'Blue Story' Release Date Moved By Paramount". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 19, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 20, 2020). "Dylan O'Brien Paramount Love And Monsters Movie Heading To PVOD". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 20, 2020.