Love or Bread
|Love or Bread|
Promotion poster for Love or Bread
|Also known as||我的億萬麵包
Wo De Yi Wan Mian Bao
|Directed by||Lin He Long|
|Opening theme||"億萬克拉的幸福" (Million Dollar Happiness) by Hwang Weng-Sing|
|Ending theme||"麵包的滋味" (The Taste of Bread) by Ariel Lin|
|Country of origin||Republic of China (Taiwan)|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Running time||90 mins (Sundays at 22:00)|
|Production company(s)||Gala Television|
|Original network||China Television (CTV)|
|Original release||16 November 2008– 8 February 2009|
|Preceded by||Hot Shot|
|CTV official homepage|
Love or Bread (Chinese: 我的億萬麵包; pinyin: Wo De Yi Wan Mian Bao; literally: "My million dollar bread") is a 2008 Taiwanese drama starring Joe Cheng and Ariel Lin. It was produced by Gala Television and directed by Lin He Long (林合隆). This marks the third drama that Cheng and Lin have co-starred together, after It Started with a Kiss in 2005 and its sequel They Kiss Again in 2007.
It was first broadcast in Taiwan on free-to-air China Television (CTV) (中視) from 16 November 2008 to 8 February 2009, every Sunday at 22:00 and cable TV GTV Variety Show/CH 28 (八大綜合台) on 22 November 2008 to 14 February 2009, every Saturday at 21:30.
Frank (Joe Cheng) is a young man who wears designer labels and thinks he's rather suave when he is actually poor. He had a tragic past and (both his parents died), he doesn't know how to handle money. He borrowed money from the loan sharks but ended up with a gang coming after him. He considers pawning his mother's wedding ring, the only thing he had left of hers, but he couldn't do it.
Zhen Shan Mei (Ariel Lin) is a poor but very loving, caring, and hard working girl. She has a boyfriend, but he moves to mainland China for university and promises that they will get married after he graduates. Shan Mei goes after him to China in the hope that they will finally get married. Shan Mei's family is against her decision because they need her to support them, but her father literally holds off the rest of the family while yelling to Shan Mei that she should go and be happy. She meets Frank while he's running from the gangsters who loaned him the money—in the ladies bathroom. Thinking that he's a pervert, she reports him to the police and he gets arrested. The ring fell out of Frank's pocket in the girl's bathroom and the policeman stuck it into Shan Mei's bag. He meets Shan Mei once more, this time on the road. He tries to get his ring back from her but she has no idea what he's talking about and she still thinks that he's a pervert. He doesn't get his ring, but he does get to drive her to the airport. When she reaches her destination, she meets her boyfriend and casually mentions "Xiao Bo," his best guy friend. Eventually, her boyfriend cannot take the guilt and admits to Shan Mei that he betrayed her and fell for Xiao Bo, who is actually a girl.
Shan Mei returns to Taiwan with no place to go. She cannot go home because her mother said when she was leaving to China that if she went then she wouldn't be considered a member of the family anymore. Her best friend, Wang Ling Long (Zhang Yu Chen) was constantly nagging at her not to go and even said "don't come crying to me." Shan Mei decides to rent a place by using Frank's ring that the policeman had found. Her neighbouring tenant just happens to be no-one other than Frank.
When they both want money and they are complete opposites. Time came that Shan Mei thinks of ending her life because there is no hope of getting back her boyfriend.
That's when Shan Mei and Frank meet numerous times. But both of them are having money issues so they decide to live together. Little do they know that they both started falling in love with one another.
- Joe Cheng as Frank/ Cai Jing Lai 蔡進來
- Ariel Lin as Zheng Shan Mei 曾善美
- Bryant Chang as Jin En Hao 金恩浩
- Zhang Yu Chen as Wang Ling Long 黃玲瓏
- Huang Wen Xing as Wen Xing (himself) 文星
- Lu Xiao Lin as Ye Ke Na 葉可娜
- Wu Jian Fei as Jing Rong 景融
- Zhang Na as Xiao Bo 曉波
- Guo Zi Qian as Zhen Huo Shu 曾火樹
- Lin Mei Xiu as Zhen Huang Shui Liang 曾黃水涼
- Wang Yue Tang as Zeng Xiao Bei 曾小貝
- Yue Yao Li as En Hao's foster father
- Zhao Shun as Wan Ye
- Opening theme song: "億萬克拉的幸福" (Million Dollar Happiness) by Hwang Weng-Sing (黃文星)
- Ending theme song: "麵包的滋味" (The Taste of Bread) by Ariel Lin
- Insert songs
- "If I Could" - Babyface
- "歐兜水" by Hwang Weng-Sing (黃文星)
- Director: Lin He Long
In July 2008, GTV announced that lead actress Barbie Shu will be replaced by Ariel Lin. GTV stated that the drama, which was scheduled to start shooting in August, had originally cast Lin for the role of Zhen Shan Mei, hence it has now returned to the actress for whom it was originally intended.
- Philippines - ABS-CBN, from June 15, 2009, every Monday to Friday 17:15.
- Japan - Television Kanagawa, Metele, Shizuoka Asahi Television, BS Japan
- Thailand - Channel 7, from August 27, 2013, every Monday to Thursday 03:50.
- (Chinese) Now News.com 《我的億萬麵包》林依晨、小綜變裝搞笑 吻4年還不夠 16 November 2008. Retrieved 2011-06-27
- (Chinese) Now News.com 大S怕胖 拒演八大新戲 '我的億萬麵包' 17 July 2008. Retrieved 2011-06-27
- Love or Bread airs pilot episode on ABS-CBN
- "ภ.ไต้หวันชุด LOVE OR BREAD เผลอใจรัก...นักต้มตุ๋น (LOVE OR BREAD)". Channel 7 (in Thai). Retrieved 23 November 2015.