Lovebug (Jonas Brothers song)
|Single by Jonas Brothers|
|from the album A Little Bit Longer|
|Released||September 30, 2008|
|Jonas Brothers singles chronology|
"Lovebug" is a song by the American rock band Jonas Brothers. It was released as the second official single off their third studio album, A Little Bit Longer, on September 30, 2008. Lyrically, "Lovebug" is about being smitten by girl for the first time and attracting feelings for said girl from that moment. A music video was released to accompany the single and is a period piece romance that was inspired by The Notebook.
Background and composition
A 22 second sample of "Lovebug" by Jonas Brothers, where a portion of the chorus is heard.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
The song was written while on tour with Miley Cyrus on her Best of Both Worlds Tour. Nick said that "we were in the hotel room and sat down that night and wrote it in about 15 or 20 minutes." The song first premiered at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards when the Jonas Brothers performed it at the back lot of Paramount Studios in Hollywood, California.
Disney Channel featured the world premiere of the "Lovebug" music video on October 19, 2008 (8:55 p.m., ET/PT). An exclusive look at the making of the video was presented throughout the evening (8:00 – 9:00 p.m., ET/PT) during episodes of Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place.
Directed by Philip Andelman (who has directed music videos for John Mayer and Demi Lovato), is a period piece that depicts the love story between a young woman and a sailor as he is preparing to deploy to war. Kevin Jonas said that The Notebook was one of the inspirations for the video.
Kevin, Joe and Nick portray multiple characters, including members of a ballroom band. A sweeping dance number, vintage wardrobe and cars bring the Jonas Brothers' vision to life. Camilla Belle and Josh Boswell also star.
In popular media
- The Jonas Brothers made a cameo in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian as cherubs. They sang a snippet of the song immediately after singing a cover of Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic.
- Performed on a Dancing with the Stars season seven result show by Mark Ballas, Derek Hough, Lacey Schwimmer, and Inna Brayer.
- The first verse was sung and played by John Grimes on the ITV2 show Jedward: Let Loose.
- US and Europe CD single
- "Pushin' Me Away"
"Lovebug" debuted on the week ending September 27, 2008 at number 84 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It first peaked at number 57 on the week ending November 9, 2008 before leaving five weeks later. On the week ending January 10, 2009, it reappeared and reached a new peak at number 49. It has sold 857,000 copies in the US. It debuted at number 84 on the Canadian Hot 100 and first peaked at number 70 before falling off the chart and reappearing on the week ending January 10, 2009 at number 45. The song was given a digital release in Australia and peaked at number 95.
|Australian Singles Chart||95|
|Canadian Hot 100 (Billboard)||45|
|UK Singles Chart||92|
|US Billboard Hot 100||49|
|US Pop Songs (Billboard)||29|
- Vena, Jocelyn (October 1, 2008). "Jonas Brothers Talk 'Lovebug' — Inspired By 'Juno,' Written While On Tour With Miley Cyrus". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved October 2, 2008.
- "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - Soundtrack". IMDB.
- "Jonas Brothers - Lovebug". aCharts.us. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- Trust, Gary (February 17, 2015). "Ask Billboard: Jonas Brothers Want to Know Their Album & Song Sales". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- "Jonas Brothers – Chart History: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Jonas Brothers – Chart History: Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Jonas Brothers – Chart History: Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 27, 2014.