Lovely Professional University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Seal of the Lovely Professional University
|Motto||Transforming Education Transforming India.|
|Location||Phagwara, Punjab, India
|Campus||Semi-urban 600 acres (2.4 km2)|
Orange and Black
|Mascot||Sun of Knowledge|
|Affiliations||UGC, AIU, NCTE, PCI, COA, BCI|
Lovely Professional University is a semi-residential university college in North India created under the Punjab State Private University Act 2005 and recognized by UGC under Section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956. LPU offers around 200 programmes and courses at diploma, undergraduate, graduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. The university has more than 30,000 students graduating every year.
Situated on National Highway-1, at the entrance to Jalandhar City, the university offers separate residential facilities for male and female students. It has connections with universities and institutes in the USA, UK, Germany,UAE,China, MIT,Australia, Canada, Singapore, Brazil, Poland, and Ghana for twinning programmes and student exchanges.
The university has received the recognition, approval and membership of the national statutory bodies UGC, NCTE, PCI, IAP, COA, BCI, AIU and international memberships of Association of Commonwealth Universities (UK), International Association of Universities (France), Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (USA), The Institute of International Education (New York).
LPU's Division of Student Affairs (DSA) provides leisure activities. The Division designs culture, sports, services and other allied social activities and delivers these through different clubs. There is a mall within the campus that houses the in-campus Hotel Unihotel, along with a bowling alley and a state-of-the-art multi-gym at the top floor. There are various kiosks spread across the campus for varied needs.
Awards and rankings
- The Lovely Faculty of Technology and Sciences was ranked #12 on the CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011.
- LMA Vardhman award was given to Ashok Mittal, Chancellor of Lovely Professional University (LPU). The university got the best private university of the year award by ASSOCHAM for the year 2012.
- TV Channel Star News conferred National 'Outstanding B-School - North' Award and B-School Leadership - National' Award to LPU in 2011.
International Association of Universities (IAU) memberships
LPU holds IAU membership with:
- France: Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU),
- United Kingdom: Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP),
- United States: The Institute of International Education(IIE), New York and Maldives Qualification Authority, Maldives.
LPU has an International Students Division, which serves as a single point of contact for the international students for issues relating to visa, travel guidance, academic counselling or availing of student services on the campus.
The University offers four major types of international programs:
- International Twinning Arrangement Programs, wherein a student completes a part of studies at LPU and the remaining part with LPU's partner Foreign University under articulation arrangements.
- English Language Programs for international students, from non-English speaking Countries or those where English is not the first language.
- Study India Programs for students studying abroad.
- Study Abroad Programs where the LPU students study a part of the programme in a university (LPU's partner university) in a different country and earn the academic credits from that university which are clubbed/added to the credits from LPU.
The University is recognized by University Grant Commission (UGC) and is member of Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It is also a member of other prestigious global organisations such as International Association of Universities (IAU), France; Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK; Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA; The Institute of International Education(IIE), New York and Maldives Qualification Authority, Maldives.
Violence on campus
In April 2011, during a football game a student was beaten by opposition team members and died a few hours later in hospital. The beaten student was from Mizoram and the three accused were Sudanese and Tanzanian. The racial aspect of the crime led to near-rioting on the campus, destroying a number of kiosks and cars. Tension continued with the university closed for three days, and with police being pelted with stones by angry students. LPU Pro-Chancellor Rashmi Mittal described the attack as, "students didn’t take the spirit of the game in a positive manner". The university's management have also been criticised for ignoring earlier and later racial attacks. 
- "Lovely Professional University's Seal". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Our Team". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved 2015-10-25.
- "Message from Vice Chancellor". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "General Facts". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "Lovely Professional University". Lovely Professional University. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Private University List". UGC. December 26, 2005. Retrieved December 26, 2005.
- "The University Grants Commission Act-1956" (PDF). mhrd.gov.in. Secretary, University Grants Commission. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- Lovely Professional University. "About Us". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Lovely Professional University. "LPU In Media". Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- University Grants Commission. "University".
- PCI, PCI (December 26, 2005). "Approved Diploma Institutions". PCI. Retrieved December 26, 2005.
- AIU, AIU (December 26, 2005). "AIU Members List". AIU. Retrieved December 26, 2005.
- "CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2011" (PDF). Competition Success Review: 1–6. August 2011.
- "Jawahar Lal Oswal bags lifetime". Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- National Outstanding B School Award (25 March 2011). "LPU wins two prestigious awards at Star News National Awards".
- International Association of Universities (IAU). "Institutions".
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), UK. "ACU members".
- Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs(ACBSP), USA. "Current ACBSP Members - Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs".
- Institute of International Education. "IIE Network Member Institutions".
- Association of Indian University. "LPU, Lovely professional university".
- "Mizo student killed in Lovely Professional University during football match". Times of India. 27 April 2011.
- "Africans in jail custody for Mizo's death". Times of India. 30 April 2011.
- "African students beat Mizo youth to death at campus football game". indianexpress.com. 28 April 2011.
- "Mizo student's death not first act of campus violence". The Sunday Guardian. 1 May 2011.
- "Brutal attack on Burundi national — hate crime or drunken brawl?". The Hindu. 20 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lovely Professional University.|