Lover for a Day
|Lover for a Day|
|Directed by||Philippe Garrel|
|Music by||Jean-Louis Aubert|
|Edited by||François Gédigier|
|Distributed by||SBS Distribution|
Lover for a Day (French: L'Amant d'un jour) is a 2017 French drama film directed by Philippe Garrel. It was screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival. At Cannes, it won the SACD Award. It is the third and final installment in Garrel's trilogy of love, the first being Jealousy (2013) and the second being In the Shadow of Women (2015).
A philosophy professor named Gilles (Éric Caravaca) has a relationship with Ariane (Louise Chevillotte), who is one of his students. Gilles' daughter, Jeanne (Esther Garrel), moves in to live with them after being kicked out of her boyfriend's apartment.
The film had its world premiere in the Directors' Fortnight section at the Cannes Film Festival on 19 May 2017. Shortly after, MUBI acquired U.S, U.K, and Ireland distribution rights to the film. It was released in France on 31 May 2017. The film went onto screen at the New York Film Festival on 10 October 2017.
Lover for a Day received positive reviews from film critics. It holds a 83% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 40 reviews, with a weighted average of 6.7/10. On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 76 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Pamela Pianezza of Variety called the film "an alluring and very elegantly crafted — though largely predictable — romantic dramedy that should do well in territories where the French auteur is already known and esteemed."
- "Fortnight 2017: The 49th Directors' Fortnight Selection". Directors' Fortnight. Société des Réalisateurs de Films. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Keslassy, Elsa (19 April 2016). "Cannes: Juliette Binoche-Gerard Depardieu Drama to Kick Off Directors Fortnight". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 20 April 2017.
- Hopewell, John (26 May 2017). "Cannes: Chloe Zhao's 'The Rider' Tops Cannes' Directors' Fortnight". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- Hopewell, John (30 May 2017). "Cannes: MUBI Acquires Philippe Garrel's 'Lover for A Day' for U.S., U.K. (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "L'Amant d'un jour". Directors' Fortnight. Société des Réalisateurs de Films. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "L'AMANT D'UN JOUR". SBS Distribution. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Lover for a Day". New York Film Festival. Film Society of Lincoln Center. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- Frankl, Ed (20 May 2017). "Lover for a Day: Cannes 2017 Review". The Film Stage. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Lover for a Day". Launching Films. Film Distributors' Association. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- "Lover for a Day (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "Lover for a Day Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 November 2017.
- Pianezza, Pamela (20 May 2017). "Cannes Film Review: 'Lover for a Day'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- "Top 10 2017". Cahiers du cinéma. December 2017. Archived from the original on 6 January 2018. Retrieved 7 December 2017.