Lovers in Prague
|Lovers in Prague|
|Written by||Kim Eun-sook|
|Directed by||Shin Woo-chul |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Executive producer(s)||Goo Bon-geun|
|Production location(s)||South Korea |
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||24 September –|
20 November 2005
|Related shows||Lovers in Paris|
Lovers in Prague (Hangul: 프라하의 연인; Hanja: 프라하의 戀人; RR: Peurahaui Yeonin) is a 2005 South Korean television drama series starring Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Joo-hyuk, Kim Min-joon and Yoon Se-ah. It aired on SBS from September 24 to November 20, 2005 on Saturdays and Sundays at 21:45 for 18 episodes.
It is the second of three TV series in the Lovers trilogy by writer Kim Eun-sook and director Shin Woo-chul. This was preceded by Lovers in Paris (2004), and the third, simply titled Lovers (2006), was not set in Europe like the first two.
The president’s daughter, Yoon Jae-hee (Jeon Do-yeon) is a Korean diplomat in Prague, Czech Republic. She has only recently recovered from a devastating break up five years earlier with Ji Young-woo (Kim Min-joon), the son of a prominent Korean businessman. Choi Sang-hyun (Kim Joo-hyuk) is a detective who goes to Prague searching for his ex-girlfriend Hye-joo (Yoon Se-ah). Hye-joo broke up with Sang-hyun over the phone from Prague and Sang-hyun cannot accept it.
Sang-hyun meets Jae-hee in Prague and misunderstandings abound. Eventually the two help each other and become friends. When they return to Korea love blossoms, but their respective exes and very different social status put it to the test.
- Jeon Do-yeon as Yoon Jae-hee
- The daughter of the President and an incumbent diplomat. She is upright and enthusiastic about her profession. After she passed the Civil Service Examination for Foreign Affairs, she was sent to Paris for her first assignment of meets Young-woo and fell in love with him.
- A detective. He decided to become one as no policeman could help him solve a hit-and-run case, which killed his parents. Although hot-tempered and rush, he is kind-hearted. He meets Hye-joo when he was sent to solve a robbery case and fell in love with her; and helped fund her studies in Prague. After Hye-joo breaks up with him, he heads to Prague to look for her and there, he meets Jae-hee.
- Kim Min-joon as Ji Young-woo
- A public prosecutor and the son of the chairman of a leading conglomerate, who grew up without family love. Not wanting to be under his father's shadow, he graduated from law school and passed the Judicial Examination. After he was exposed to the spotlight, he went backpacking in Prague to avoid everything. He met Jae-hee there and fell in love with her. However, he was separated from her after his father's interjection. When meets her again, she already fell in love with Sang-hyun.
- Yoon Se-ah as Kang Hye-joo
- An orphan, who seems fragile but is strong. She becomes a kindergarten teacher after graduating from community college. One day, she meets Sang-hyun and fell in love with him. She heads to Prague to further her studies with the help of Sang-hyun, but unfortunately becomes pregnant. Her intent to climb to the top with wrong choices caused her to break up with Sang-hyun. After realizing her mistakes, she wants to reconcile with him.
- Lee Jung-gil as the Yoon Jung-han
- Jang Keun-suk as Yoon Gun-hee
- Jung Dong-hwan as Ji Kyung-hwan (Young-woo's father)
- Ha Jung-woo as Ahn Dong-nam (Jae-hee's bodyguard)
- Yoon Young-joon as Suh Yoon-kyu
- Kim Seung-wook as Hwang Dal-ho (Sang-hyun's partner)
- Kim Na-woon as Shin Kwang-ja
- Andy as Ji Seung-woo (Young-woo's younger half-brother)
- Kwak Ji-min as Jung Yeon-soo
- Park Jae-min as Mrs. Young
- Won Duk-hyun as a student
- Shim Eun-kyung as a student
- Hahm Eun-jung as a student
Ratings for the drama averaged 26–27% (31% at its peak), partly due to Jeon's return to television after a three-year hiatus. At the 2005 SBS Drama Awards, Jeon Do-yeon was awarded the Daesang ("grand prize"), and Kim Joo-hyuk won Top Excellence Award. Kim also won Best Actor for TV at the 42nd Baeksang Arts Awards.
In the table below, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
Source: TNS Media Korea
Awards and nominations
|2005||Grand Prize (Daesang)||Jeon Do-yeon||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor||Kim Joo-hyuk||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actress||Jeon Do-yeon||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor in a Special Planning Drama||Kim Joo-hyuk||Nominated|
|Top 10 Stars||Jeon Do-yeon||Won|
|New Star Award||Yoon Se-ah||Won|
|2006||Best Actor (TV)||Kim Joo-hyuk||Won|
- Park, Chung-a (14 September 2005). "Drama Looks for Love in Prague". The Korea Times via Hancinema. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Lovers in Prague". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Kim Joo-hyuk's Unforgettable On-Screen Appearances | Viu". Viu. 2017-11-13. Retrieved 2017-11-14.
- "42nd Baeksang Awards Nominations and Winners". Twitch Film. 14 April 2006. Retrieved 2012-11-18.