"Loves Me Like a Rock" is a song by the American singer-songwriter Paul Simon. It was the second single from his third studio album, There Goes Rhymin' Simon (1973), released on Columbia Records. It features background vocals from the Dixie Hummingbirds, a Southern black gospel group. Although the lyrics are not typically associated with gospel music, the Dixie Hummingbirds were eager to record the song with Simon, and they recorded their own version of the song soon afterward.
The song peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100; it was also a top five hit in Canada. It was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America for sales of over one million copies.
Paul Simon's version of "Loves Me Like a Rock" peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 chart the week of October 6, 1973, kept from the summit by Cher's "Half-Breed". It remained in the Top 40 for 14 weeks and was certified a gold record. It also spent two weeks atop the Billboard easy listening chart in September 1973. It reached the Top 40 in the United Kingdom, peaking at number 39 on the UK Singles Chart.
The gospel version of "Loves Me Like a Rock" by the Dixie Hummingbirds reached number 72 on the Billboard R&B chart and won the group a Grammy for Best Soul Gospel performance in 1974.
Paul Simon performed the song with the Muppets during his guest appearance on The Muppet Show.
|Canada 100 RPM
|US Billboard Hot 100
|US Cash Box
- ^ a b c Hyatt, Wesley (1999). The Billboard Book of No. 1 Adult Contemporary Hits (Billboard Publications)
- ^ Bronson, Fred (2003). The Billboard Book of No. 1 Hits, 5th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- ^ Whitburn, Joel (1996). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 6th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- ^ UK Singles Chart info at chartstats.com
- ^ Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- ^ "RPM100: Singles" (PDF). RPM. Ottawa: Library and Archives Canada. 20 (7). September 29, 1973. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- ^ "The Programmers' Pop Music Playlist" (PDF). RPM. Ottawa: Library and Archives Canada. 10 (29). October 13, 1973. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Paul Simon – Loves Me Like a Rock" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- ^ Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 499. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- ^ "Paul Simon - Chart history". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 13, 2015.
- ^ "Paul Simon – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Paul Simon. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- ^ "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- ^ http://www.musicoutfitters.com/topsongs/1973.htm
- ^ http://tropicalglen.com/Archives/70s_files/1973YESP.html
- ^ "American single certifications – Paul Simon – Loves Me Like a Rock". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved November 16, 2015. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH