|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Region of origin||Sweden|
|Related names||Louise, Louisa, Luise, Luisa, Ludvig|
Lovisa is a Swedified form of Louise, which originates in Louis and has been used in Sweden since the 17th century. It was placed in the Swedish calendar in the 1750s after king Adolf Fredericks marriage to Lovisa Ulrika of Prussia in 1744. Lovisa means fighter.
The name Lovisa had a rejuvenation in the 1980s and 90's in Sweden but has since then begun to decline.
Lovisa is placed in the Swedish calendar (namnsdag) on August 25.
Famous people with the name Lovisa
- Lovisa Augusti, opera singer, member of the Swedish Royal Academy of Music
- Brigitte Lovisa Fouché, artist
- Greta Lovisa Gustafsson (aka Greta Garbo), actress
Other famous people
- Lovisa Åhrberg, doctor and surgeon
- Lovisa von Burghausen, Swedish prisoner of war, known for her life as a slave in Russia
- Sofia Lovisa Gråå, educator and principal
- Agatha Lovisa de la Myle (died 1787), Baltic-German and Latvian poet
- Lovisa Svensson (1853-1963), 110-year-old.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|