Low (Testament album)
|Studio album by Testament|
|Released||September 30, 1994|
|Studio||A&M Studios, Hollywood, California
Studio D, Sausalito, California
Burnt Offerings Inc. (1995)
|Singles from Low|
Low is the sixth studio album by American heavy metal band Testament. It was released on September 30, 1994. It was the first Testament release not to feature two of its founding members Alex Skolnick (guitar) and Louie Clemente (drums).
The record was recorded with original band members Chuck Billy (vocals), Eric Peterson (guitar) and Greg Christian (bass). It also saw the first of two Testament album appearances by artist John Tempesta (drums), and three for artist James Murphy (guitar). Long time Testament collaborator Del James is given composer and vocal credits on the album. Additionally, a music video was filmed for the title track.
Reception and legacy
Reviews for Low have generally been mixed. AllMusic's John Franck awards the album four stars out of five, and states, "Testament's sixth studio album literally saw the boys from the Bay Area fighting for their lives in the unfriendly surroundings of the alternative nation. Wisely, the band decided to try something completely different and join forces with Rage Against the Machine/Melvins producer GGGarth Richardson. With temporary drummer John Tempesta in place behind the skins, the band began tracking at A&M studios in Los Angeles. Wanting to return to the no-holds-barred yet musically challenging sounds of works past, the GGGarth teaming proved to be the perfect fodder necessary for Testament to regain their confidence."
Low failed to match the critical or popular acclaim of Testament's previous albums, peaking at #122 on the Billboard 200, the band's second lowest chart position after 1988's The New Order, which debuted at #136. "Low" and "Dog Faced Gods" were released as singles to promote the album, but did not chart.
|2.||"Legions (In Hiding)"||Billy, James, Peterson||4:17|
|3.||"Hail Mary"||Billy, James, Murphy, Peterson||3:32|
|4.||"Trail of Tears"||Billy, Peterson||6:06|
|5.||"Shades of War"||Billy, James, Peterson||4:44|
|7.||"Dog Faced Gods"||Billy, James, Peterson||4:02|
|8.||"All I Could Bleed"||Billy, Peterson||3:37|
|9.||"Urotsukidōji (Instrumental)"||Christian, Peterson||3:50|
|10.||"Chasing Fear"||Billy, Christian, James, Peterson||4:56|
|11.||"Ride"||Billy, James, Peterson||3:16|
|12.||"Last Call (Instrumental)"||Christian, Peterson||2:41|
|The Billboard 200||122|
|Oricon Albums Chart||77|
- Chuck Billy: vocals
- Eric Peterson: lead and rhythm guitar
- James Murphy: lead and rhythm guitar
- Greg Christian: bass
- John Tempesta: drums
- Dave McKean: album cover artwork
- Michael Wagener: mixer
- Bill Kennedy: recording engineer
- "Testament(2)". Discogs. 2012.
- "Low (1994), First Strike Still Deadly (2001)". as of August 2012. Check date values in:
- News, Archive (20 September 2011). "TESTAMENT Taps Drummer JOHN TEMPESTA For ANTHRAX Tour". Blabbermouth.
- "Low (1994), Live at the Fillmore (1995), The Gathering (1999)". as of August 2012. Check date values in:
- Franck, John. Low at AllMusic
- "Testament - Chart history". Billboard.com. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- "Testament - Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- "Superunknown: 50 Iconic Albums That Defined 1994". GuitarWorld.com. July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 14, 2014.