Low Bin Tick
Dato' Dr. Low Bin Tick, DPMS, DIMP, OBE, GCStJ, JP (simplified Chinese: 刘明德; traditional Chinese: 劉明德; pinyin: Liú Míng Dé; born 5 March 1941) is the Chairman of St John Council of Malaysia and Commander-in-Chief of St John Ambulance of Malaysia. He is a consultant skin specialist and genito-urinary physician practising in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
St John Ambulance of Malaysia
Low has served with St John Ambulance of Malaysia since 1968, becoming Commander-in-chief in 1993. He initiated the 24-hour emergency ambulance service on the highways during the Hari Raya Aidilfitri and Chinese New Year festivals since 1996. At the same time he initiated the Emergency Medical Assistance Service (EMAS) in the major cities in Malaysia. In 2008, Low led the organisation's centenary celebrations at the Dataran Merdeka in Kuala Lumpur.
In 2010, Low was made a Justice of the Peace (JP) by His Royal Highness Sultan of Selangor.
Besides his works for St John Ambulance, Low is also the President of the British Graduates Association of Malaysia. He has also been Vice President of the Malaysian AIDS Council and a Trustee of the Malaysian AIDS Foundation. Throughout 2001 to 2005, Low was President of Chin Woo Athletic Association of Selangor and Kuala Lumpur, as well as President of Rotary Club of Kuala Lumpur DiRaja for Rotary Year 1996/1997.
Low is a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine Malaysia.
Awards and honours
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Crown of Selangor (Darjah Kebesaran Dato' Paduka Mahkota Selangor - DPMS, which carries the title Dato') - 1999
- Knight Companion of the Order of the Crown of Pahang (Darjah Indera Mahkota Pahang - DIMP, which carries the title Dato') - 1998
- Member of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (Ahli Mangku Negara - AMN) - 1981
- Member of the Order of the Crown of Selangor (Ahli Mahkota Selangor) (AMS)
- Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) - 1998
- Bailiff Grand Cross of the Venerable Order of St John (GCStJ) - 2014
- Knight of Grace of the Order of St John (KStJ) - 1996
- Commander (Brother) of the Order of St John (CStJ) - 1990
- Officer (Brother) of the Order of St John (OStJ) - 1979
In June 2012, Low was ordered by the High Court in Kuala Lumpur to pay damages totaling RM500,000 for defamatory statements on another ex-President of Chinwoo Athletic Association, Dato' Chong Tho Chin