Low Countries derby
30 April 1905|
Belgium 1–4 Netherlands (Antwerp, Belgium) (official)
28 April 1901
Belgium 8–0 Netherlands (Antwerp, Belgium) (unofficial)
16 October 2018|
Netherlands 1–1 Belgium (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
|Most wins||Netherlands (55)|
Netherlands wins: 55|
Belgium wins: 41
Netherlands 8–0 Belgium|
(Amsterdam, Netherlands; 29 March 1936)
|Largest goal scoring||
Netherlands 6–7 Belgium|
(Rotterdam, Netherlands; 25 November 1951)
|Longest win streak||Netherlands (5) (three times)|
|Longest unbeaten streak||Netherlands (10)|
The Low Countries derby (Dutch: Derby der Lage Landen), is the name given in football to any match between the Belgian and Dutch national football teams. The countries have a long-standing tradition of rivalry in football, having played over 125 official Derbies so far.[A] Only Austria–Hungary and Argentina–Uruguay have been contested more often. Not only have the Low Countries met 18 times in the framework of major tournaments, they have also played at least 35 friendly cup duels.
All Low Countries derbies
The full official record between the two countries is as follows:
|World Cup qualifiers||12||2||3||7||7||19|
Belgium vs. Netherlands Cups
From their first friendly derbies onwards, Belgium and the Netherlands competed for floating trophies. During the encounters in Belgium the teams played for the Coupe Vanden Abeele until 1925, and in the friendlies in the Netherlands they played for the Rotterdamsch Nieuwsblad-beker at least until 1932, for a total of 39 Belgian-Dutch friendly cup matches (of which 35 official internationals). The cup awarded in Belgium was named after and initially handed out by Frédéric Vanden Abeele Sr., father of the secretary of Beerschot Athletic Club (where the tournament took place). As the Dutch disliked the design of this Belgian cup, they quickly nicknamed it Het Koperen Dingetje, meaning "The Copper Thingy".
|Belgium-Netherlands Cup Record|
|1905–25 Challenge F. Vanden Abeele||14||3*||3||8||25||34|
|1905–32 Rotterdamsch Nieuwsblad-Beker||21||5||5||11||35||55|
- as of 2014
- Verkamman, Matty (9 Jan 1999). "Interlandvoetbal om 'koperen dingetje'/Sporteeuw (2) - 1901". Trouw (in Dutch). Archived from the original on 25 June 2016. Retrieved 9 Apr 2015.
- Stokkermans, Karel (6 Mar 2014). "The "Derby der Lage Landen"". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Belgium national football team match results". eu-football.info. Retrieved 5 Sep 2013.
- Stokkermans, Karel. "Belgium - List of International Matches". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Archived from the original on 1 July 2016. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Head-to-Head: Belgium v Netherlands". FIFA.com. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "De geschiedenis van het balspel". Leeuwarder Nieuwsblad (in Dutch). 18 Mar 1932. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Fraiponts & Willocx 2003.
- Fraiponts, Jean; Willocx, Dirk (2003). Kroniek van het Belgische voetbal / Pioniers en Rode Duivels - 1863–1906 (in Dutch). Antwerp: Assoc. BE bvba. ISBN 978-90-77314-01-2. (Extract consulted online on 30 August 2010 on Beerschot Athletic Club)
|This association football article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|