Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jeff Preiss|
|Produced by||Albert Berger|
|Written by||Topper Lilien|
|Music by||Ohad Talmor|
|Edited by||Michael Saia|
Bona Fide Productions
|Distributed by||Oscilloscope Laboratories|
Low Down is a 2014 American biopic directed by Jeff Preiss and based on the memoirs written by Amy-Jo Albany (portrayed by Elle Fanning) about her father, famed jazz pianist Joe Albany (portrayed by John Hawkes), and his struggles with drug addiction.
Joe Albany was a well accomplished jazz pianist during the 1960s and 1970s, performing with the likes of Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and Charles Mingus before his descent into heroin addiction. The film tells the story of Albany's life from the perspective of his then 11-year-old daughter Amy Albany through her own personal memoirs, as she watches him contend with his drug addiction during the 1960s and '70s jazz scene.
- John Hawkes as Joe Albany
- Elle Fanning as Amy-Jo Albany
- Lena Headey as Sheila Albany
- Glenn Close as Gram
- Flea as Hobbs
- Caleb Landry Jones as Cole
- Taryn Manning as Colleen
- Peter Dinklage as Alain
- Billy Drago as Lew
- Burn Gorman as Wiggenhern
- Tim Daly as Dalton
- Linda Wang as Chinese woman
- Myles Cranford as Jimmy
The film made its debut at the Sundance Film Festival on January 19, 2014, and went on to win best Cinematography. The film also won best film at the New Hampshire Film Festival in 2014. The first official trailer was released on September 18, 2014. The film opened to a limited release on October 24, 2014 in New York City and October 31, 2014 in Los Angeles.
Low Down was met with mixed reviews. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes sampled 46 film critics' reviews, 24 which are positive and 22 negative, bringing the score to 52%, averaging 5.7/10. The film's consensus reads: "Rich in mood and on-screen talent but lacking in narrative depth, Low Down tells an oft-told tale with a troubling dearth of imagination." Metacritic, another review aggregator gives the film a score 58 out of 100 from reviews from 21 critics, six of them positive, 13 mixed and two negative, with its general agreement being "mixed or average reviews".
- "Low Down (2014) – Box Office Mojo". boxofficemojo.com.
- Chris O'Falt. "Sundance Preview: John Hawkes Stars as a Heroin-Addicted Jazz Pianist in 'Low Down'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Sundance 2014: U.S. Dramatic Competition". Retrieved April 18, 2014.
- "'Whiplash' Owns the 2014 Sundance Film Festival Awards Netting Two Top Prizes". Retrieved April 12, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: Elle Fanning, Glenn Close on 'Low Down' - EW.com". ew.com.
- "John Hawkes to Star in Joe Albany Biopic LOW DOWN". Collider.
- "'Low Down' Trailer". yahoo.com. 18 September 2014.
- "Up and Comers - Watch: Elle Fanning in First 'Low Down' Trailer". upandcomers.net.
- "Low Down (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 22, 2015.
- "Low Down". Metacritic. Retrieved August 22, 2015.