Low Level Waste Repository
Drigg Low Level Waste Repository (by LLW Repository Ltd) at Drigg village, on Cumbria coast, is the UK's low-level radioactive waste repository located on the West Cumbrian coast, on the seaward side of the Cumbrian Coast Line, approximately 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) south east of the Sellafield nuclear site. The site stores waste from Sellafield, MoD sites, nuclear power stations, hospitals, universities, medical companies and the oil industry. It has been operating since 1959.
The Nuclear Decommissioning Authority announced in March 2008 that UK Nuclear Waste Management Ltd (a consortium led by the Washington Division of URS Corporation and including Studsvik UK, AREVA-NC and Serco Assurance) had been awarded the contract for the management and operation of the Low Level Waste Repository.
In early 2008, Cumbria County Council granted permission for a new vault, Vault 9, to be built. Vault 9 is expected to accommodate about 700 ISO steel containers per year and be able to hold 5,500 ISO steel containers in total meaning that it will have an operational life of about eight years. The vault opened for use in 2010.
In 2015, a report from the Environment Agency acknowledged that the site would be disrupted in the future by coastal erosion and flooding, and placed requirements on LLWR Ltd to maintain a programme of coastal monitoring and to keep up-to-date with research and development on the long-term effects of climate change.
- Jason Nisse (19 June 2005). "BNFL told to combat threat of nuclear contamination on Cumbrian beaches". The Independent.
- "Nuclear waste site deal is struck". BBC News. 31 March 2008.
- "Planning approval granted for new low level radioactive waste repository near Drigg". Cumbria County Council. 22 January 2008. Archived from the original on 20 November 2010.
- "Cumbria store for low-level nuclear by-products opens". BBC News. 29 July 2010.
- Edwards, Rob (20 April 2014). "Cumbrian nuclear dump 'virtually certain' to be eroded by rising sea levels". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Environment Agency, Decision Document: Low Level Waste Repository, October 2015