|Metro area||Charleston, SC|
Holy City Heartbreakers
|Venue||Hot Wheels Skating Center, Memminger Auditorium, McAlister Field House|
|Org. type||Federal Non-Profit|
The Lowcountry Highrollers are a flat-track roller derby league in Charleston, South Carolina. The league is composed of three home teams for intra-league play, and two travel teams that compete with other leagues. Founded in 2008, the Lowcountry Highrollers roller derby league is composed of 50 active skaters, referees, and non-skating officials as of 2014.
The home teams that play within the Lowcountry Highrollers are:
And the travel teams are:
- Bruisin' Betties
- LCHR All Stars
Other affiliates are:
- In 2012, the LCHR All-Stars travel team finished the season with a record of 5 wins and 4 losses.
- In 2012, the LCHR Bruisin' Betties travel team finished with a record of 5 wins and 5 losses.
- Although the Ashley Riverdolls won the most home team bouts this season, the Holy City Heartbreakers won the final championship tournament.
- In 2011, LCHR finished with a record of 9 wins and 1 loss. In the South Carolina State Championships, they finished 2nd in the state
- On December 1, 2011, LCHR became the first WFTDA (Women's Flat Track Derby Association) league in the state of South Carolina
- November, 2011, LCHR began a recreational team
- On February 13, 2011, LCHR hosted their first home game of 2011 with over 2,500 fans in the seats.
- As of January 2011, LCHR entered the Apprentice Program for the Women's Flat Track Derby Association and also began a Junior roller derby league for skaters between the ages of 12 and 17.
- The third LCHR home team, the Ashley Riverdolls, was formed in 2011.
- On April 24, 2010, LCHR became the #2 roller derby league in the state of South Carolina by defeating the Richland County Regulators.
- On April 18, 2010, LCHR debuted their newly formed home teams, the Holy City Heartbreakers and the Swamp Foxes. The Holy City Heartbreakers defeated the Swamp Foxes in the first LCHR home team bout.
- In January 2010, LCHR formed a second travel team, the Bruisin’ Betties. Their first bout was January 23, 2010.
- On March 22, 2009, the Lowcountry Highrollers had their first game. It was held at the Omar Shrine Temple and was sold out.
- In January 2008, the founding members of the Lowcountry Highrollers made their first contact with a Craigslist ad.
As a business enterprise, the league is registered as a Federal NonProfit. Lowcountry Highrollers donate a portion of bout proceeds to a different local charity.
- "Roller Derby Charleston SC". Lowcountry Highrollers. 2014-07-30. Retrieved 2014-08-03.
- "WFTDA Adds Six Member Leagues - Latest News - Women's Flat Track Derby Association". Wftda.com. 2011-12-01. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100530205818/http://www.charlestonscene.com/news/2010/mar/18/behind-the-scenes-with-the-lowcountry-highrollers/. Archived from the original on May 30, 2010. Retrieved August 12, 2010. Missing or empty
- Labberton, Kinsey (2008-05-07). "Down and Derby | Cover Story". Charleston City Paper. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "lowcountry highrollers topic page and wiki | TheDigitel Charleston". Charleston.thedigitel.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- "HostMonster - Web Hosting". Hookadv.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.