Holy Trinity Church
|Area||18.45 km2 (7.12 sq mi) |
|Population||1,001  2001 Census|
1,022 (2011 Census)
|• Density||54/km2 (140/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||33 miles (53 km) N|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Lower Beeding is a village and civil parish in the Horsham District of West Sussex, England. The village lies on the B2110, B2115 and A281 roads 3.5 miles (6 km) southeast from Horsham, and is centred on Holy Trinity Church and The Plough public house, where the B2115 meets the B2110. The parish hamlets are Crabtree to the south of the village, and Ashfold Crossways and Plummer's Plain to the north-east. At Plummer's Plain there is a spring that is the official source of the River Ouse, which eventually reaches the sea at Newhaven.
In the early 13th century the monks of Sele Priory (St Peter's Church, Upper Beeding) began a mission to the area of St Leonard's Forest near Horsham, and established a small mission base, naming it Lower Beeding. Despite being some 10 miles (16 km) away, Lower Beeding remained a part of (Upper) Beeding parish until Victorian times. The existence of Lower Beeding led to differentiation in the name of the original Beeding in some medieval sources, adding the 'Upper'.
A local landmark is Leonardslee Gardens, between Lower Beeding village and Crabtree; the gardens were closed to the public in 2010 but reopened in April 2019.
The South Lodge Hotel in Lower Beeding was the venue for the 2009 G20 Summit meeting of finance ministers.
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish" (PDF). West Sussex County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- Telegraph report on G20 finance meeting Retrieved 25 May 2009
- Media related to Lower Beeding (civil parish) at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Lower Beeding (village) at Wikimedia Commons
- Lower Beeding web site
|This West Sussex location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|