Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ricardo de Montreuil|
|Music by||Bryan Senti|
|Cinematography||Andrés E. Sánchez|
|Box office||$6.3 million|
Lowriders is a 2016 American drama film directed by Ricardo de Montreuil, written by Elgin James and Cheo Hodari Coker, and starring Demián Bichir, Gabriel Chavarria, Theo Rossi, Melissa Benoist, Tony Revolori and Eva Longoria. It was released on May 12, 2017. The film received mixed reviews from critics and has grossed $6 million.
A contemporary tale about a teen whose loyalties are tested when an annual lowrider event forces him to choose between his father and his criminal brother.
- Demián Bichir as Miguel Alvarez
- Gabriel Chavarria as Daniel "Danny" Alvarez
- Theo Rossi as Francisco "Ghost" Alvarez
- Melissa Benoist as Lorelai
- Tony Revolori as Chuy Herrera
- Eva Longoria as Gloria Alvarez
- Cress Williams as Detective Stallworth
- David Fernandez Jr. as MC
- Yvette Monreal as Claudia
- Montse Hernandez as Isabel
- Noel Gugliemi as Angel
- Bryan Rubio as Gordo
Lowriders was released in the United States on May 12, 2017, alongside with Snatched and King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, and was expected to gross around $1 million from 295 theaters. It ended up debuting to $2.4 million, finishing 8th at the box office.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 55% based on 20 reviews, with an average rating of 5.8/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating to reviews, the film has a score 57 out of 100, based on 9 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". PostTrak reported that 82% of audience members gave the film a rating of either "excellent" or "very good".
- "Lowriders (2017)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Fuster, Jeremy (May 14, 2017). "'Lowriders' Cruises to $2.4 Million at Indie Box Office". The Wrap.
- Kit, Borys (June 1, 2015). "Relative Unknown Nabs Lead in Universal's Lowrider Drama (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- Hipes, Patrick (May 21, 2015). "'Supergirl' Star Melissa Benoist Climbs Into 'Lowriders' Movie". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- "On the Set for 6/1/15: James Gunn Starts Shooting 'The Belko Experiment', Michael Keaton Begins Mcdonald's Biopic 'The Founder' & More". ssninsider.com. June 1, 2015. Archived from the original on April 22, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- "Film Crew L.A. on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved June 8, 2015.
- "'King Arthur' Delivers $1.15M from Thursday Previews, 'Snatched' Takes in $650k". Box Office Mojo. May 12, 2017.
- "'King Arthur's Head Cut Off With $14.7M Opening As 'Snatched' Swims To $17.5M In A 'Guardians'-Ruled Mother's Day Weekend". Deadline Hollywood. May 14, 2017.
- "Lowriders (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Lowriders reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved May 16, 2017.