Lowy Institute for International Policy
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Foreign policy think tank|
The Lowy Institute for International Policy is an independent think tank endowed by Frank Lowy to conduct original, policy-relevant research about international political, strategic and economic issues from an Australian perspective. It is based in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Its research and analysis aim to be non-partisan, and its active program of conferences, seminars and other events are designed to inform and deepen the debate about international policy in Australia and to help shape the broader international discussion of these issues.
- International Security
- East Asia
- G20 Studies Centre
- International Economy
- West Asia
The institute's website offers publications for free download. In 2006 the regular talks began to be recorded and made available on the website.
The Lowy Institute for International Policy launched a blog 'The Interpreter' in November 2007. According to former Executive Director Allan Gyngell: "it aims to provide you with fresh insights into international events and a new way to engage with the Institute."
Board of directors
The institute's board comprises several notable Australian policy makers and business people.
- Ambassador Chan Heng Chee DUBC – former Singaporean ambassador to the United States
- David Gonski
- Robert Ferguson – former managing director, Bankers Trust Australia
- Martin Indyk – diplomat; former United States ambassador to Israel
- Frank Lowy – Lowy Institute founder and chairman; co-founder, Westfield Group
- Peter Lowy – group managing director of the Westfield Group
- Steven Lowy – group managing director of the Westfield Group
- Ian Macfarlane – former Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia
- Mark Ryan – company director
- Judith Sloan – economist
- Michael Thawley – former Australian Ambassador to the United States
- Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston AC, DFC – former Chief of the Australian Defence Force
- The Hon. James Spigelman AC
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2014)|
- Michael Fullilove, Executive Director and Director of the Global Issues Program
- Rory Medcalf, Director International Security Program
- James Brown, Military Fellow
- Alan Dupont, Non-Resident Fellow
- Allan Gyngell, Executive Director (2004–2009) - subsequently Director General of the Office of National Assessments
- Michael Wesley, Executive Director (2009-2012)
- Mark Thirlwell, Director International Economy Program (2004-2013)
The annual Lowy Poll surveys a nationally representative sample of the adult Australian population on foreign policy issues and is the Lowy Institute's flagship publication. It is wholly funded by the Lowy Institute and its results are widely cited in the Australian and international media. The Lowy Institute has also conducted opinion polling in Indonesia, New Zealand and China. The first Lowy Poll was in 2005.
Each year, the Lowy Institute hosts a seminar with a specific theme relevant to international policy, which is attended by early-career professionals, who have the potential for extensive careers in public policy.
Links to Outcomes Reports
|New Voices 2004||A la carte sovereignty: Australia's transforming borders|
|New Voices 2005||Binding the World Together|
|New Voices 2006||Technology and International Relations|
|New Voices 2007||International Leadership|
|New Voices 2008||Responsibility in a Globalised World|
|New Voices 2009||Networked|
|New Voices 2010||Global Encounters|
The format of The 2011 Lowy Institute Poll  was considered inadequate for formulating Australian policy compared to studies undertaken by CSIRO, Ipsos-Eureka, Cardiff University, Stanford University, and Yale University. Telephones were considered difficult in allowing respondents to think about questions and has double barrelled questions.
- "Lowy Institute for International Policy". Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- Lowy Institute (2014). Board of Directors. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Nicholson, Brendan (15 April 2009). "Veteran in from the cold to head spy agencies". The Age.
- "The 2011 Lowy Institute Poll".
- "Polls, framings and public understandings: climate change and opinion polls".