Motto in English
|Wisdom Maketh the World|
|Established||17 September 1997|
|Chancellor||Governor of Tamil Nadu|
|Principal||K. Thangavel (Registrar I/c)|
Periyar University is a university in Salem, Tamil Nadu, India. It was established by the Government of Tamil Nadu in 1997. It is named after social reformer Thanthai Periyar E. V. Ramasamy. The University Grants Commissions, New Delhi bestowed 2f status in 1998 and 12(B) status in 2005 to the university. It is accredited by NAAC with 'A' grade. It has been awarded a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.15 points (performance descriptor "very good").
The Government of Tamil Nadu established Periyar University at Salem on 17 September 1997, as per the provisions of the Periyar University Act, 1997. The university caters to affiliated colleges under the area comprising the districts of Salem, Namakkal, Dharmapuri and Krishnagiri. The university got 12(B) and 2f status from the University Grants Commission and was accredited by NAAC with B+ grade in 2007, which was upgraded to 'A' during the reaccreditation in May 2015.
A total of 106 colleges from four districts of Tamil Nadu are affiliated with the university and PG extension center at Dharmapuri (Periyar University PG Extention Center, Government Arts College Campus), which includes five autonomous colleges, 65 colleges with PG departments and 45 colleges with research departments. More than 1,35,000 students are studying in the affiliated colleges.
Schools and departments
Periyar University has 24 teaching and research departments in eight schools. The departments are clustered into schools to promote inter-disciplinary research. A total of 79 academic programmes are offered by the departments. A proposal has been submitted to the state government for approval to start a History Department.
Apart from its teaching and research departments, the university has established five constituent colleges at Mettur Dam, Iddapadi (both in Salem District), Pennagaram, Harur, and Pappiredipatty (in Dharmapuri District).
The university is on National Highway 7, 7 km (4.3 mi) from Salem city. The campus extends to about 100 acres (0.40 km2), accommodating the administrative and department buildings.
|University and College rankings|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2018)||101–150|
|NIRF (Universities) (2018)||90|
- "6th Meeting of the Standing Committee" (PDF). naac.gov.in.
- "Periyar University gets 'A' Grade". thehindu.com.
- "Periyar University" (PDF). www.periyaruniversity.ac.in.
- "Schools and Departments - :: Periyar University ::". www.periyaruniversity.ac.in.
- "Clustering of departments to promote research activities at Periyar University". thehindu.com.
- "Periyar University plans to start History Department". thehindu.com.
- "Constituent Colleges - :: Periyar University ::". www.periyaruniversity.ac.in.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Periyar University.|
|This article about a university or college in Tamil Nadu, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|