Loyola Marymount Lions
|Loyola Marymount Lions|
|University||Loyola Marymount University|
|Conference||West Coast Conference|
|Athletic director||William Husak|
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
|Basketball arena||Gersten Pavilion|
|Baseball stadium||George C. Page Stadium|
|Mascot||Iggy the Lion|
|Fight song||"Fight on Loyola"|
|Colors||Crimson and Navy
The Loyola Marymount Lions are the athletic teams that represent Loyola Marymount University, a Jesuit institution in Los Angeles, California. The school competes in NCAA Division I and the West Coast Conference.
Men's Intercollegiate Sports
Women's Intercollegiate Sports
- ‡ = Men's rowing is sanctioned by the Intercollegiate Rowing Association, not by the NCAA. LMU's men's rowing team competes in the Western Intercollegiate Rowing Association (WIRA), and the women's team competes in both the West Coast Conference and the WIRA.
- * = Beach volleyball is a fully sanctioned NCAA sport which will have its first national championship in the spring of 2016. LMU's team competes as an independent.
- † = The swimming team competes in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation.
- # = The men's and women's track and field teams compete as independents.
- ¶ = The men's and women's water polo teams compete in the Western Water Polo Association'
The Lions burst onto the national basketball scene in the late 1980s under coach Paul Westhead. His teams led Division I in scoring in 1988 (110.3 points per game), 1989 (112.5) and 1990 (122.4). LMU's 122.4 point per game in 1990 was still a record as of October 2010. As of October 2010, Loyola Marymount held the five highest combined scoring games in Division I history. Four of the five occurred during Westhead's career, including a record 331 in the 181–150 win over United States International University on January 31, 1989.
The team's last appearance in the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament was in 1990, where they advanced to the Elite Eight. They would lose to eventual national champion UNLV. Prior to the tournament, Lions star player Hank Gathers died during the WCC conference tournament from a heart condition.
LMU's current men's head coach is Mike Dunlap.
- 2012–13 Loyola Marymount Lions women's basketball team
- 2013–14 Loyola Marymount Lions women's basketball team
The women's water polo team was the WWPA Champion in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2007.
At the conclusion the 2004 season, Loyola Marymount's women's water polo team lost to the University of Southern California (USC), 10-8, in the NCAA Women's Water Polo Championship game at Stanford University's Avery Aquatic Center.
- "2015-16 LMU Men's Basketball Quick Facts" (PDF). Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "NCAA DII, DIII membership approves Sand Volleyball as 90th championship". NCAA. January 17, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- NCAA 2010, p.39
- NCAA 2010, p.5
- NCAA 2010, pp.28–29
- NCAA (November 10, 2010). "2010–11 NCAA Men's Basketball Records - Division I Records". NCAA.org. NCAA. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 7, 2011.