|Born||Frances Louise Parker
Anderson, South Carolina
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Education||College of Charleston|
|Employer||KTLA 2005 - Present|
|Awards||Miss USA 1994
Frances Louise "Lu" Parker is an American actress, journalist and beauty pageant titleholder who won Miss USA 1994.
Born in Anderson, South Carolina, Parker attended the College of Charleston, where she was a sister of Alpha Delta Pi and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English. She then went on to receive a Master of Arts in Education from The Citadel. After graduating, Parker taught English Literature at North Charleston High School.
After winning Miss South Carolina USA, Parker competed at Miss USA 1994. She came into the semi-finals in first place, having won all three preliminary competitions. After the semi-finals, she went into the Top 6 in second place. After the judges' question, she just made the cut in the final three in third place, eventually becoming the third South Carolinian to be crowned Miss USA. She continued on to compete in the 1994 Miss Universe Pageant in Manila, Philippines, where she placed among the top 6 finalists and finished 4th overall.
In San Antonio, KABB TV hired Parker to serve as a weekend anchor and reporter. Parker was promoted to main anchor in 2000. In February 2003, she became the host for "Great Day SA", which is San Antonio's top-rated live entertainment morning show. In January 2005, she moved to Los Angeles to join Frank Buckley as co-anchor for KTLA's "KTLA Prime News" on weekends. In 2007, Lu began to co-anchor the weekday "KTLA Morning News" at 5:00 A.M and 6:00 A.M. with Cher Calvin. In January, 2008 she became the main weather anchor for KTLA Prime News. She later returned to anchor the weekend evening news alongside Lynette Romero when Markina Brown was hired as the new weeknight meteorologist.
Parker began a relationship with Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor of Los Angeles, in March 2009. Her employer, KTLA, was reportedly unaware of this fact until May 2009. Ms. Parker reported several stories on Villaraigosa prior to publicly revealing her relationship with him. Villaraigosa and Parker split in May 2012.
In 2010 Parker founded the Lu Parker project, whose stated mission is to "improve the lives of at-risk youth and homeless animals through direct service, education, and advocacy."
- "Miss USA: Working woman". CNN. February 28, 2001. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- "S.C. woman a Miss Universe semifinalist". The Charlotte Observer. May 21, 1994. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- Phil Willon (June 2, 2009). "L.A. mayor is dating local newscaster". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- Almendrala, Anna (July 2, 2012). "Antonio Villaraigosa, Lu Parker Split (PHOTOS)".
- "Villaraigosa expected to attend girlfriend's charity fundraiser". Los Angeles Times. July 18, 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2010.
- Official Lu Parker website
- Official KTLA On-Air Talent Bio
- Lu Parker on Twitter
- Lu Parker's blog posts at The Huffington Post
- The Lu Parker Project
- Lu Parker at the Internet Movie Database