Luan de Bruin
|Date of birth||13 February 1993|
|Place of birth||Pretoria, South Africa|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||128 kg (20 st 2 lb; 282 lb)|
|School||Afrikaanse Hoër Seunskool, Pretoria|
|Rugby union career|
Luan de Bruin (born 13 February 1993 in Pretoria, South Africa) is a South African rugby union player, currently playing Currie Cup rugby with the Free State Cheetahs. His regular position is tighthead prop.
Youth and Varsity Cup rugby
De Bruin got recognised for provincial selection at primary school level in 2006, when he was included in the Blue Bulls Under-13 squad that played at the Craven Week competition. In 2009, he was selected in their Under-16 Grant Khomo Week squad and he played at the Under-18 Craven Week competitions in both 2010 and 2011. After the 2011 tournament, he was included in a South African Academy side that played against a France Under-18 side in Durban.
In 2012, De Bruin moved to Bloemfontein. He made eleven appearances for the Free State U19 side during the 2012 Under-19 Provincial Championship, starting ten of those matches. At the start of the 2013 season, he played for university side UFS Shimlas during the 2013 Varsity Cup competition, where he made six substitute appearances.
He was selected in the South African Under-20 side that played in the 2013 IRB Junior World Championship in France. He started in their first two pool matches, a 97–0 victory over the United States and a 31–24 victory over eventual champions England. He didn't feature in their match against hosts France, but was restored to the starting line-up in their semi-final clash with Wales, where South Africa suffered an 18–17 defeat. He was also in the run-on side that met New Zealand in the third-placed play-off and De Bruin scored one of six South African tries as they beat New Zealand 41–34 to secure a third-place finish in the tournament.
In the latter half of the 2013 season, De Bruin played in four matches for the Free State U21 side during the 2013 Under-21 Provincial Championship before he played in another Varsity Cup campaign for the UFS Shimlas in February and March 2014.
Free State Cheetahs / Cheetahs
De Bruin's first taste of senior provincial rugby came during the 2014 Vodacom Cup competition for the Free State XV after the 2014 Varsity Cup concluded. He made his debut when he was named in the run-on side for their match against the Eastern Province Kings in Cradock, helping his side to a 31–3 victory. That was the first of five consecutive starts De Bruin made during the competition as they reached the quarter-finals, where they were knocked out by his former side, the Blue Bulls.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Luan de Bruin". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "O.13-Bulletjies het baie ervaring" (in Afrikaans). Beeld. 8 June 2006. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Geen OP-spelers gekies" (in Afrikaans). Die Son. 18 July 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – South Africa 97-0 USA". South African Rugby Union. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – South Africa 31-24 England". South African Rugby Union. 9 June 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – France 19-26 South Africa". South African Rugby Union. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – South Africa 17-18 Wales". South African Rugby Union. 18 June 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – South Africa 41-34 New Zealand". South African Rugby Union. 23 June 2013. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Eastern Province Kings 3-31 Toyota Free State XV". South African Rugby Union. 29 March 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Toyota Free State XV 21-22 Vodacom Blue Bulls". South African Rugby Union. 3 May 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Cheetahs load team with Boks". Sport24. 2 July 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Vrystaat belê in jonges" (in Afrikaans). Volksblad. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.