Luanda, province of Angola
|• Total||2,417 km2 (933 sq mi)|
|• Total||6,542,942 |
|ISO 3166 code||AO-LUA|
Luanda is a province of Angola. It has an area of 2,417 square kilometres (933 sq mi) and a population of 6,542,942 in 2014. Luanda is the capital of the province and the country of Angola. Despite this, the city occupies 113 square kilometres (44 sq mi), or less than five percent of the total area of the province. In 2011 Luanda Province was subdivided into seven municipalities, namely, Luanda, Belas, Cacuaco, Cazenga, Icolo e Bengo, Quiçama and Viana. These are again subdivided into 47 Communes (Comunas). The new reform of 2011 moved the municipalities Icolo e Bengo and Quiçama from Bengo to Luanda Province. The administrative reform significantly increased the land area of Luanda Province. Governors of the Luanda Province have included: Francisca Espírito Santo (c. 2009-2010), Jose Maria dos Santos (c. 2011-2013), and Graciano Francisco Domingos (c. 2014).
The province has created the Instituto de Planeamento e Gestão Urbana de Luanda (IPGUL, Institute for urban planning and management of Luanda) as an independent organ for urban planning of the province.
- Belas (1,077 square kilometres (416 sq mi))
- Cacuaco (335 square kilometres (129 sq mi))
- Cazenga (51 square kilometres (20 sq mi))
- Ícolo e Bengo (3,083 square kilometres (1,190 sq mi))
- Luanda (municipality) (113 square kilometres (44 sq mi))
- Quiçama (13,562 square kilometres (5,236 sq mi))
- Viana (615 square kilometres (237 sq mi))
- "Luanda" (in Portuguese). Luanda, Angola: Info-Angola. 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- National Assembly of Angola (27 July 2011). "Lei n.º 29/11 de 1 de Setembro - Alteração da Divisão Político-Administrativa das províncias de Luanda e Bengo" [Law to change the politico-administrative divisions of Luanda and Bengo provinces] (PDF) (in Portuguese). IPGUL 'Noticias'. Retrieved 20 March 2012. While the law had been voted on July 27, 2011, its effective date is 60 days after publication in the Official Journal, which happened on September 1, 2011.
- "Perfil do Governador". Governo Provincial de Luanda (in Portuguese). Governo da República de Angola. Archived from the original on August 2010.
- "Informação sobre o IPGUL" [Information about the IGPUL] (in Portuguese). Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- Broadhead, Susan (1992). Historical dictionary of Angola. Metuchen, N.J: Scarecrow Press. p. 119. ISBN 0585070091.
- "Divisão Político-Administrativa da Província de Luanda" (in Portuguese). Luanda, Angola: Info-Angola. 2013. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Official website of province governor
- Information on this province at the Angolan ministry for territorial administration
- Information on this province at Info Angola
- Alternate Official government page (in Portuguese)
- Administrative map of Luanda province with mapping those to old divisions
- IPGUL website
- City of Luanda Portal