This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lubomyr Yaroslav Luciuk is a Canadian academic and author of books and articles in the field of political geography and Ukrainian history. He is currently a full professor at the Royal Military College of Canada.
Background and education
Lubomyr Luciuk was born and raised in Kingston, Ontario. He earned two degrees from Queen's University, an Honours BSc (1976) and MA (1979) and completed his PhD (1984) at the University of Alberta. He had postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Toronto and Queen's University.
Political and academic work
Luciuk served as a part-time Member of the Parole Board of Canada from 2013 to April 2016. .
In 2010, Luciuk was one of 16 recipients of the Shevchenko Medal of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress in recognition of his educational, research and advocacy efforts on behalf of the Ukrainian Canadian community.
Professor Luciuk specializes in the political geography of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union, refugee studies, and the ethnic and immigration history of Canada. He is the author or editor/co-editor of over 25 books including "In Fear of the Barbed Wire Fence: Canada's First National Internment Operations", "Searching for Place: Ukrainian Displaced Persons, Canada, and Migration of Memory", and "Konowal: A Canadian Hero", and over 250 editorials in Canadian newspapers.
Luciuk also established Kashtan Press, a publisher of books on Ukraine.
- "Famines in European Economic History: The last great European famines reconsidered," 2015, Routledge, 2015 (with D Curran and A G Newby, co-eds)
- Luciuk, Lubomyr Y. (2004). Not worthy : Walter Duranty's Pulitzer Prize and the New York Times. Kingston, Ont.: Kashtan Press,. ISBN 1-896354-34-3.
- "Ukrainians in the Making: Their Kingston Story," The Limestone Press, 1980
- "A Delicate and Difficult Question: Documents in the History of Ukrainians in Canada, 1899-1962," The Limestone Press, 1986 with B. S. Kordan
- "Anglo-American Perspectives on the Ukrainian Question, 1938-1951," The Limestone Press, 1987, with B. S. Kordan
- "Canada's Ukrainians: Negotiating an Identity," University of Toronto Press, 1991 (with Stella Hryniuk).
- Searching for Place: Ukrainian Displaced Persons, Canada and the Migration of Memory (University of Toronto Press, 2000)
- Creating a Landscape: A Geography of Ukrainians in Canada (University of Toronto Press, 1989), with B. S. Kordan
- "In Fear of the Barbed Wire Fence: Canada's First National Internment Operations and the Ukrainian Canadians, 1914-1920," Kashtan Press, 2001.
- A Time for Atonement: Canada's First National Internment Operations, 1914-1920 (Kingston, Ontario: Limestone Press, 1988)
- Their Just War: Images of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army (Kingston, Ont: Kashtan Press, 2007) with Wasyl Humeniuk
- The Foreign Office and the Famine: British Documents on Ukraine and the Great Famine of 1932-1933 (Kingston, Ontario: Limestone Press, 1988), with M Carynnyk & B S Kordan (co eds)
- "Righting an Injustice: The Debate over Redress for Canada's First National Internment Operations," Justinian Press, 1994
- Holodomor: Reflections on the Great Famine of 1932-1933 in Soviet Ukraine (Kingston, Ontario: Kashtan Press, 2008)
- The Holy See and the Holodomor: Documents from the Vatican Secret Archives on the Great Famine of 1932-1933 in Soviet Ukraine, with Athanasius McVay (University of Toronto, Chair of Ukrainian Studies & Kashtan Press, 2011)
- "Jews, Ukrainians, and the Euromaidan," (Chair of Ukrainian Studies in association with the Kashtan Press, 2014).
- "Tell Them We Are Starving: The 1933 Dairies of Gareth Joenes," (Kashtan Press, 2016)
- RMCC Faculty profile, retrieved 2013-01-28.
- "Member Profile: Lubomyr Luciuk". The Writers Union. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "Public Safety Minister Toews announces appointments to the Parole Board of Canada". Public Safety Canada. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- Myron B. Kuropas (3 August 2003). "Honoring Lubomyr Luciuk: giving credit where credit is due". The Ukrainian Weekly. LXXI (31). p. 7.
- UCC Announces Shevchenko "Medal & Youth Leadership Award of Excellence Recipients", Ukrainian Canadian Congress, 25 October 2010, retrieved 2013-01-28.
- www.uccla.ca (Ukrainian Canadian Civil Liberties Association)