|Born||2 December 1971|
|Awards||Premio Presidente della Repubblica, 2015|
|Institutions||University of Florence, Italy|
Luca Bindi (born 1971) is an Italian geologist. He currently holds the Chair of Mineralogy and Crystallography in the Department of Earth Sciences in the University of Florence. He is also a research associate at the Istituto di Geoscienze e Georisorse of the National Research Council (Italy) (CNR). He has received national and international scientific awards that include the President of the Republic Prize 2015 in the category of Physical, Mathematical and Natural Sciences in the National Academy of Lincei.
Awards for his research, include:
- Panichi Prize for mineralogical investigations of the Italian Society of Mineralogy and Petrology (2004)
- Nardelli Prize awarded by the Italian Association of Crystallography (2006)
- Excellence Research Medal awarded by the European Mineralogical Union
- Foreign Outstanding Young Researcher Award from the Russian Mineralogical Society (2007)
- Luigi Tartufari Prize for Geology of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (2010)
- President of the Republic (2015)
Two of his scientific works related to the discovery of the first natural quasicrystal, icosahedrite, were cited in Scientific Background on the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2011 – The Discovery of Quasicrystals of the Nobel Committee for Chemistry of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences. On 29 May 2018, the asteroid 92279 Bindiluca was named in his honor.
His research activity resulted in 250 scientific publications in international journals, mainly covering crystallographic structural studies of minerals characterized by incommensurate structures, superstructures, twinning, and integrating mineralogy with the most-advanced fields of crystallography. Significant among his research works are the crystal-chemical studies of major mineral phases for the Earth's mantle, and studies of potassium-rich clinopyroxene, which had broad international resonance.
- "Premi 2015" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 February 2017. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Albo". Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Medaglie e Premi AIC". Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Medal for Research Excellence 2006". Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Outstanding Young non-Russian Researcher award 2007". Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Cerimonia di conferimento Premi 2010" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 August 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Cerimonia di conferimento Premi 2017".
- "Scientific Background on the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2011: The Discovery of Quasicrystals" (PDF). Retrieved 9 September 2016.