Caldirola with Internazionale in 2011
|Date of birth||1 February 1991|
|Place of birth||Desio, Italy|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|SV Darmstadt 98|
|2010–2011||→ Vitesse (loan)||11||(0)|
|2012||→ Brescia (loan)||19||(0)|
|2013||→ Brescia (loan)||18||(0)|
|2015–||→ SV Darmstadt 98 (loan)||6||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 05:47, 25 September 2015 (UTC).
Caldirola started his career at Internazionale, where he was the team captain at under-20 level (Primavera) and was occasionally called up to join the first team during the 2009–10 season, without making any appearances, however, on the pitch. Caldirola also played for various youth teams in Lombardy as goalkeeper and midfielder before joined Internazionale at the age of eight. He played in a friendly match for the Inter first team in 2009.
On 29 June 2010, Internazionale loaned out Caldirola to Dutch Eredivisie club Vitesse for the entire 2010–11 season; he is the second Italian player to be part of the Arnhem club, after Marco De Marchi. Inter also reduced the age limit of its Primavera team to under-19 in 2010, keeping only three players born in 1991 in the 2010–11 season as back-ups for the first team.
Half of the registration rights of Caldirola — and Luca Garritano — were sold to Cesena as part of the deal that brought defender Yuto Nagatomo to the San Siro in June 2011, after a successful loan. Half of the registration rights of Caldirola was valued €2.5 million; Caldirola signed a four-year contract. Both Caldirola and Garritano returned to Internazionale in a temporary deal for the 2011–12 season.
In June 2012, the co-ownership deal was renewed and Caldirola reported to Cesena in pre-season on 10 July 2012, where he played the first half of the season for the Romagna club before again being loaned to Brescia in January 2013, where he finished the campaign with 15 league appearances.
In June 2013 Inter bought back Caldirola for €2.5 million, with Riccardo Melgrati and Thomas Pedrabissi moved to Cesena outright for €750,000 and €1 million respectively; Cesena also signed Yago Del Piero in co-ownership deal for €250,000, thus the deals only involves €500,000 cash to Cesena.
On 26 June 2013, SV Werder Bremen confirmed the signing of Luca Caldirola from Internazionale on a four-year contract, for a €2.5 million transfer fee. Upon signing for the Bundesliga club, Caldirola stated: "Werder is a great opportunity for me, I immediately said that I would like to switch to Werder. The club has a great tradition."
SV Darmstadt 98 (loan)
Caldirola has represented his native country of Italy at all youth levels, from under-16 to under-20.
In 2009, he participated at the UEFA Under-19 Championship with the Italians.
In May 2011, he was called-on by Ciro Ferrara to play the games of the 2011 Toulon Tournament. Under the management of Devis Mangia, in 2012, Caldirola was named captain of the under-21 side, where he led the Azzurini in the 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship.
- "Luca Caldirola joins SBV Vitesse". FC Internazionale Milano. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "NAMES FOR THE FUTURE: LUCA CALDIROLA". FC Internazionale Milano (inter.it). 28 April 2004. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Three youngsters with first team for TIM Trophy". FC Internazionale Milano (inter.it). 13 August 2009. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "TIM Trophy: Inter 1–0 AC Milan". FC Internazionale Milano (inter.it). 14 August 2009. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- "Vitesse huurt Caldirola van Internazionale" (in Dutch). Vitesse. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Transfer market: Nagatomo belongs to Inter now". FC Internazionale Milano. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- A.C. Cesena SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2012 (Italian)
- "Mercato: Caldirola, prestito al Brescia". FC Internazionale Milano (in Italian) (www.inter.it). 4 January 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2012.
- AC Cesena SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2013 (Italian)
- "Transfer fix! Vier-Jahresvertrag für Luca Caldirola" (in German). Werder Bremen. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- FC Internazionale Milano SpA bilancio (financial report and accounts) on 30 June 2013 (Italian)
- "Lilien leihen Luca Caldirola von Werder Bremen aus" (in German). SV Darmstadt 98. 15 July 2015. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "NOME: CALDIROLA LUCA" (in Italian). FIGC.it. Retrieved 16 August 2010.