Connell playing for Bolton Wanderers U18s in November 2017
|Full name||Luca John Connell|
|Date of birth||20 April 2001|
|Place of birth||Liverpool, England|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|2018||Republic of Ireland U17||4||(0)|
|2018–||Republic of Ireland U18||3||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:04, 5 February 2019 (UTC)|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 6 January 2019
He has represented the Republic of Ireland at under-17 and under-18 levels.
On 5 January 2019, Connell made his competitive debut in a 5–2 win over Walsall in the FA Cup Third Round as an 89th minute substitute replacing Luke Murphy. Two weeks later, he was named as unused substitute in a 2–0 league defeat to West Bromwich Albion. On 25 January, Connell started his first senior game in a 2–1 defeat to Bristol City in the FA Cup Fourth Round and assisted Mark Beevers' goal. He was rewarded with a league debut four days later in a 1–1 draw against Reading.
In August 2017, Connell was invited to train with the Republic of Ireland under-17 squad. On 21 March 2018, Connell made his international debut at under-17 level in a 3–0 win against Macedonia. Three days later, he featured in a 2–0 victory against Georgia. In May 2018, Connell made two appearances in the 2018 UEFA European Under-17 Championship group stages, playing in wins against Denmark and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
He was called up to the under-18s for the first time in November 2018, and made his debut in a 2–1 win against Belgium. In the following days, Connell started in a 3–1 defeat to England and 1–0 win against the Netherlands.
- Iles, Marc (20 July 2018). "Liverpool and Everton's loss is Wanderers' gain, says Under-18s boss". The Bolton News. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- Norris, Emma (8 August 2017). "Academy trio selected to train with their respective nations' youth sides". Bolton Wanderers FC. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "Bolton Wanderers 5–2 Walsall". BBC Sport. 5 January 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- Freeman, Jay (21 January 2019). "Bolton Wanderers 0–2 West Bromwich Albion". BBC Sport. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- "Bristol City 2–1 Bolton Wanderers". BBC Sport. 25 January 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- "Bolton Wanderers 1–1 Reading". BBC Sport. 29 January 2019. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- "Under-17 - Luca Connell". UEFA.com. UEFA. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- O'Gara, Mikey (16 November 2018). "International round-up: Luca Connell represents Republic of Ireland U18s". Bolton Wanderers FC. Retrieved 30 January 2019.