This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||University of Pisa|
|Known for||Studies of noise in physical systems|
|Institutions||University of Perugia|
|Doctoral advisor||Sergio Santucci|
Luca Gammaitoni (born June 16, 1961 in Perugia) is a scientist in the area of noise and nonlinear dynamics. He is currently the Director of the Noise in Physical System Laboratory (NiPS Lab) at the Physics Department of the Università di Perugia, in Italy.
Education and career
He graduated in Physics at the University of Perugia and obtained his Ph.D. in physics from the University of Pisa in 1991 (S. Santucci advisor). His thesis was entitled "Stochastic Resonance". He is currently Professor at the Faculty of Science of the University of Perugia in Italy. He is also the founder and CEO of Wisepower srl, a spin-off of the University of Perugia and the President of Wisepower Corp. based in Arcadia (CA), USA. He has authored more than 200 papers on top-level scientific journals and few books. His papers have been cited more than 30,000 times.
The Noise in Physical Systems (NiPS) Laboratory is a research facility within the Physics Department of the University of Perugia. NiPS has a long-standing tradition in studying physical systems in the presence of noise. Scientific interest ranges from stochastic nonlinear dynamics modelling to thermal noise measurements.
Wisepower srl is a university spin-off company focussed on the design and prototypation of micro-energy generator. The company holds patents on vibration-to-electricity nonlinear conversion technology.
- Stochastic nonlinear dynamics with specific reference to Stochastic Resonance, dithering, resonant trapping, resonant crossing phenomena.
- Energy Harvesting, with specific reference to nonlinear vibration harvesting, micro and nanoscale energy management.
- Energy efficiency in computing devices, with specific reference to micro and nanoscale logic gate devices
- Thermal noise and non equilibrium relaxation processes in solid state systems
- Nonlinear Energy Harvesting, F. Cottone; H. Vocca; L. Gammaitoni, Phys. Rev. Lett., 02/2009, Volume 102, Issue 080601, (2009) 
- Stochastic Resonance: A remarkable idea that changed our perception of noise, L. Gammaitoni; P. Hanggi; P. Jung; F. Marchesoni, EUROPEAN PHYSICAL JOURNAL B, 05/2009, Volume 69, Issue 1, p. 1-3, (2009) 
- Noise limited computational speed, L. Gammaitoni, Applied Physics Letters, 11/2007, Volume 91, p. 3, (2007) 
- Stochastic resonance, L. Gammaitoni; P. Hänggi; P. Jung; F. Marchesoni, Reviews of Modern Physics, Volume 70, Issue 1, p. 223 - 287, (1998) 
- A. R. Bulsara, and L. Gammaitoni, "Tuning in to noise," Physics Today 49(3): 39-45, 1996. 
- http://www.fisica.unipg.it/gammaitoni - Luca Gammaitoni web page at the Physics Department of the Università di Perugia
- http://www.nipslab.org - Noise in Physical Systems Laboratory
- http://www.wisepower.it - Wisepower srl, a Spin-off Company of the Università di Perugia
- http://www.stochastic-resonance.org/ - Stochastic Resonance pages