|• Mayor||Jim Olk|
|• Total||15.91 sq mi (41.20 km2)|
|• Land||15.60 sq mi (40.41 km2)|
|• Water||0.30 sq mi (0.79 km2)|
|Elevation||568 ft (173 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||548.20/sq mi (211.66/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Area code(s)||214, 469, 945, 972|
|GNIS feature ID||1378618|
Lucas is located in south central Collin County at  It is bordered by Fairview to the north, Allen to the west, Parker to the southwest, Wylie to the south, St. Paul to the southeast, Wylie again to the southeast, and Lavon Lake to the east..
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the city of Lucas has a total area of 12.6 square miles (32.7 km2), of which 0.02 square miles (0.06 km2), or 0.17%, is water.
Lucas is home to two parks, Kenneth R. Lewis Park and Lucas Community Park. Kenneth R. Lewis Park is equipped with Softball and Soccer fields, a paved walking trail, and a pavilion Park Map. Lucas Community Park has a Main Area with a capacity 80, Mini Kitchenette, Tables available (6 max), and Chairs available (40 max, 20 on Thursday).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the 2010 census the population of Lucas was 5116.
At the 2000 census there were 2,890 people in 945 households, including 855 families, in the city. The population density was 314.3 people per square mile (121.3/km2). There were 962 housing units at an average density of 104.6 per square mile (40.4/km2). The racial makup of the city was 80.44% White, 8.42% African American, 0.52% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.00% from other races, and 1.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 11.56%.
Of the 945 households 44.9% had children under the living with them, 83.2% were married couples living together, 4.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 9.5% were non-families. 7.5% of households were one person and 1.8% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.22.
The age distribution was 30.2% under 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 29.1% from 45 to 64, and 6.6% 65 or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.9 males.
The median household income was $100,220 and the median family income was $101,014. Males had a median income of $72,471 versus $38,182 for females. The per capita income for the city was $34,020. About 3.9% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.7% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.
The city of Lucas has seven different school districts and private schools within the city limits. The six school districts are as follows:
- Lovejoy Independent School District
- Allen Independent School District
- McKinney Independent School District
- Plano Independent School District
- Princeton Independent School District
- Wylie Independent School District
The private Lucas Christian Academy is also in the city.
Home rule charter
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A special election for the adoption of a home rule charter was held May 10, 2008. Unofficial results showed a vote of 422 for and 108 against.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 7, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Lucas city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved July 31, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- https://www.lucastexas.us/departments/parks-and-facilities/. Missing or empty
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 2010 profile of general population and housing characteristics for Lucas from the US Census