This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Spray painting, coatings and fit out services|
|Headquarters||Wrotham, Kent, United Kingdom|
|Danny Lucas, executive chairman and managing director|
Lucas was founded in 1969 (S. Lucas Ltd was incorporated in July 1976) and its sister operation, Lucas Fit Out, was established in 2008. Danny Lucas joined the company in 1982 and became Managing Director in 1997. In a management buy-out in late 2010 he acquired the main shareholding and became Executive Chairman and Managing Director of Lucas. Commercial Director Ken Mulholland and Danny’s brother Adam Lucas, both of whom had worked for the company for 10 years, also became minority shareholders as a result of the MBO. The company completed building a new Innovation Centre at its headquarters, and opened a new Visitor and Learning Centre there in March 2018.
Lucas won the Finishing and Fit Out Category in the Specialist Awards organised by Construction News in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Lucas also won the Specialist Contractor category of the 2014 Building Awards organised by Building magazine. It was named Specialist Contractor of the Year (turnover under £100 million) in the Construction News Awards 2017. The company was included in the “Financial Times 1000: Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies” and also named in the London Stock Exchange’s “1000 Companies to Inspire Britain”. Lucas was also the first winner in the National Technology Awards 2018 of the Manufacturing and Construction Category.
Lucas provides decorative and protective coatings services including general decoration, spray applied finishes, protective and hygienic coatings and special paint effects. It also provides commercial fit out and finishing services. In July 2010 the company re-launched the Muralplast brand of coatings and protective finishes. In February 2017 it launched Lucas Breathe, a protective treatment for stone and concrete surfaces that reacts with sunlight, activating a catalytic reaction with pollutants in the air, turning them into harmless trace elements which disperse naturally. The company is now a Living Well Alliance partner with the British Lung Foundation.
Lucas ProTools is a subsidiary company providing a range of products for painting and decorating professionals. The company and its flagship product, the ProFinish paintbrush, was launched at an event held at the McLaren Technology Centre in November 2014. The brush design includes a hand-crafted, FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) accredited beech wooden handle and DuPont Chinex filaments.
In 2015 the ProFinish brush won the product design prize at the Red Dot Awards. It was also shortlisted for product of the year at the Mixology awards, organised by Mix Interiors magazine.
Lucas has undertaken many large finishing and fit out projects. They have included Heathrow Terminal 5, the O2, the 2012 Olympic Stadium, the Shard of Glass, Centre Point, Television Centre, the Bloomberg headquarters building and Battersea Power Station. Heritage projects have included the Guildhall in London, the Royal Shakespeare Theatre at Stratford-upon-Avon and the Café Royal in London’s Regent Street . Other projects include Westfield Stratford City shopping centre in East London, Birmingham New Street station, and the Tate Modern extension.
Lucas's commercial buildings fit out and finishing service have been deployed on financial datacentres, facilities at Heathrow and the refurbishment of the Savoy Hotel in London. It delivered the fit-out of the two stations at the Emirates Air Line cable car crossing over the River Thames in East London.
- Companies House data. Accessed: 20 February 2015.
- "Brown, Benz and best practice: Q&A with award-winner Danny Lucas". Construction News. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Lucas Management Buyout Meta Corporate Finance. Retrieved: 21 February 2015.
- Ramsey, Caroline (29 December 2010). "Kent commercial finishing group in MBO". Business Sale Report. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Specialists Awards shortlist announced Construction News, 13 January 2011. Retrieved: 21 February 2015.
- "2014 Winners". Building. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Specialist Contractor of the Year (under £100m): Winner". Construction News. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "The FT 1000: the complete list of Europe's fastest-growing companies". ft.com. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "1000 Companies to Inspire Britain - 2018". London Stock Exchange Group. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "National Technology Awards Winners 2018". nationaltechnologyawards.co.uk. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- S. Lucas re-launches Muralplast surface treatments Specification Online, 24 October 2012. Retrieved: 21 February 2015
- "Commitment to the Environment Award – KEiBA". KEiBA. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Living Well Alliance". British Lung Foundation. 26 October 2016. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Product launch Painting and Decorating News, Jan 2015
- Launch event video Vimeo, Jan 2015
- Main product Mix Interiors magazine, Jun 2015
- Product design Jedco case study, Nov 2014
- Product details Design Curial, Feb 2015
- Brush filaments DuPont, Feb 2013
- Award winner Red Dot Awards, 2015
- Double Award Building Centre, Jun 2015
- Award shortlist Mixology15, Jun 2015
- Moreby, Aaron (29 October 2010). "Paintwork specialist Lucas wins Shard job". Construction Enquirer. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- Glancey, Lisa (14 April 2008). "S Lucas seals £120k London deal". Construction News. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Lucas Fit Out wins Thames cable car contract". The Construction Index. 25 November 2011. Retrieved 21 February 2015.