Lucas County Courthouse (Iowa)
Lucas County Courthouse
|Built by||G.J. Stewart & Co|
|Part of||Lucas County Courthouse Square Historic District (#14000324)|
|MPS||County Courthouses in Iowa TR|
|NRHP Reference #||81000254|
|Added to NRHP||July 2, 1981|
The Lucas County Courthouse in Chariton, Iowa, United States was built in 1893. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 as a part of the County Courthouses in Iowa Thematic Resource. In 2014 it was included as a contributing property in the Lucas County Courthouse Square Historic District. The courthouse is the third building the county has used for court functions and county administration.
Lucas County’s first courthouse was constructed of oak logs in 1850. The 1 1⁄2-story building was built for $374. The second courthouse was a 50-square-foot (4.6 m2) building that cost between $15,000 and $20,000 to build. Its foundation was made of logs.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Molly Myers Naumann. "Lucas County Courthouse Square Historic District" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved 2016-08-09.
- "Lucas County Courthouse". Iowa Judicial Branch. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Stanek, Edward and Jacqueline (1976). Iowa's Magnificent County Courthouses. Des Moines: Wallace-Homestead. p. 124. ISBN 0-87069-189-9.
- Harvey, Hank (Sep 11, 1994). "The other Lucas County - this one is in Iowa". Toledo Blade. p. 6. Retrieved 6 October 2015.