Zedner obtained her doctorate from Nuffield College Oxford (1984–89), became a Member of the Centre for Criminology (1988), and a Prize Research Fellow. She later became a Lecturer in Law at the London School of Economics where she was, beginning in 1991, Assistant Director of the Manheim Centre for Criminology and Criminal Justice. In 1994, Zedner returned to Oxford to become a Law Fellow at Corpus Christi College and rejoined the Centre for Criminology. She held a two-year British Academy Research Readership from 2003 to 2005. She was awarded the title of Reader in 1999 and of Professor of Criminal Justice in 2005, and in 2012 was elected as a fellow of the British Academy.
Some of Zedner's publications, collaborations, with reviews, include:
- Women, Crime and Custody in Victorian England, (1991)
- Journal of Interdisciplinary History, Spring, 1994, vol. 24, no. 4, p. 711-712
- Albion: A Quarterly Journal Concerned with British Studies, Winter, 1992, vol. 24, no. 4, p. 683-684
- The American Journal of Legal History, Jan., 1993, vol. 37, no. 1, p. 112-113
- Review, Law and History Review, Spring, 1996, vol. 14, no. 1, p. 128-131
- Child Victims in the Criminal Justice System (with Jane Morgan, 1992)
- Social Legal Studies Little 2 (1): 118. Social Legal Studies
- The Modern Law Review, Jul., 1993, vol. 56, no. 4, p. 611-613
- The Criminological Foundations of Penal Policy, co-edited with Andrew Ashworth (2003)
- Criminal Justice (2004)
- D. Downes, British Society of Criminology Newsletter
- Security London: Routledge, 2009.
Zedner's teaching and research interests include penal theory, comparative criminology, victims, security, risk and anti-terrorist policy.
- "Senior Research Fellowship Elections". All Souls College Oxford. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- "Lucia Zender, Professor of Criminal Justice; Profile". University of Oxford, Faculty of Law. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- Zedner, Lucia (1991). Women, Crime, and Custody in Victorian England. England: Clarendon Press. ISBN 9780198202646. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- Morgan, Jane; Zender, Lucia (1992). Child Victims; Crime, Impact and Criminal Justice. England: Clarendon Press. ISBN 9780198257004. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- Zedner, Lucia; Ashworth, Andrew (2003). The Criminological Foundations of Penal Policy; Essays in Honour of Roger Hood. England: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-926509-7. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- Zedner, Lucia (2004). Criminal Justice. England: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198763666. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- Zedner, Lucia (2009). Security. London & New York: Routledge. ISBN 0-203-87113-8. Retrieved Nov 29, 2016.
- "Lucia Zedner". ResearchGate. Retrieved Nov 30, 2016.