This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lucian Msamati (2010)
Lucian Gabriel Wiina Msmati|
5 March 1976
|Other names||Wiina Msamati|
|Occupation||Actor and playwright|
Lucian Gabriel Wiina Msamati (born 5 March 1976), is a British-Tanzanian film, television and theatre actor. He played Salladhor Saan in HBO series Game of Thrones and was the first black actor to play Iago at the Royal Shakespeare Company's 2015 production of Othello.
Early life and education
Msamati was born in the United Kingdom and brought up in Zimbabwe by his Tanzanian parents, a doctor and a nurse; he is the eldest of four siblings. His primary education began at Olympio Primary School in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, and continued at Avondale Primary School in Harare, Zimbabwe. After secondary education at Prince Edward School in Harare, he studied towards a BA Honours Degree in French and Portuguese at the University of Zimbabwe from 1995 to 1997.  
After university he took a day-job as an advertising copywriter and freelance radio presenter. He also worked as a voice-over artist, compere and after-dinner speaker.
In 1994 Msamati and school friends, Shaheen Jassat (deceased), Craig and Gavin Peter, Kevin Hanssen, Roy Chizivano, Sarah Norman founded what would become Zimbabwe's acclaimed Over the Edge Theatre Company in Harare, later joined by Erica Glyn-Jones, Zane E. Lucas, Chipo Chung, Karin Alexander, Rob Hollands and Michael Pearce. The company celebrated its 10th anniversary in December 2004, having flown the Zimbabwe flag across Europe, the US and South Africa. The last few years have seen individual members pursuing other interests. Though not officially disbanded, there are no immediate plans of an Over the Edge reunion. From 1998 to 2001, the company performed at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Edinburgh, Scotland; some plays were written by Msamati.
Msamati has appeared in several theatrical productions in London, UK, including:
- Fabulation, Tricycle Theatre
- Gem of the Ocean, Tricycle Theatre
- I.D., Almeida Theatre
- Mourning Becomes Electra, Royal National Theatre
- The Overwhelming, Royal National Theatre
- Pericles, Prince of Tyre, played the title role, Royal Shakespeare Company
- President of an Empty Room, Royal National Theatre
- The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, Lyric Hammersmith
- Walk Hard, Tricycle Theatre
- Death and the King's Horseman, National Theatre
- Ruined, Almeida Theatre
- Clybourne Park, Royal Court Theatre
In November 2010 Msamati was appointed Artistic Director of British-African theatre company Tiata Fahodzi,  until being succeeded in 2014 by Natalie Ibu. He has continued to work with Tiata Fahodzi, directing Boi Boi is Dead in February–March 2015.
He has also appeared in several television productions, including episodes of the television series Ultimate Force and Spooks. In 2008 he took on his most prominent role, playing JLB Matekoni in the BBC/HBO-produced series The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. He has guest starred in episodes of the BBC television series Luther, Ashes to Ashes, Doctor Who, Taboo, and Death in Paradise, as well as playing the part of the pirate Salladhor Saan in the HBO series Game of Thrones.
Msamati appeared in the film The International (2009). Other film credits include Lumumba (1999), directed by Raoul Peck; animated feature The Legend of the Sky Kingdom; Dr. Juju (2000), directed by Roger Hawkins and Richard II, directed by Rupert Goold.
Msamati appeared as Matthew in the BBC Radio 4 drama Burned To Nothing (2011) by Rex Obano.
|2008–2009||The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency||JLB Matekoni||7 episodes|
|2009||10 Minute Tales||Flirty Orderly|
|2010||Ashes to Ashes||Tobias Ndbele|
|2012||The Hollow Crown||Bishop of Carlisle|
|2013||Death in Paradise||Dr Johnson|
|2013||Holby City||Dumisani Themba|
|2012–2014||Game of Thrones||Salladhor Saan||3 episodes|
|2015||Inspector George Gently||Ellison|
|2015||Urban Myths||Herbert Muhammed|
|2017||Electric Dreams||The Director|
|2018||Black Earth Rising||David Runihura|
|2003||The Legend of the Sky Kingdom||Italiano (voice)||Credited as Wina Msamati|
|2009||The International||General Charles Motomba|
- Edemariam, Aida (21 March 2008). "And Now for the Good News..." The Guardian. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "biographies: wiina lucian msamati". Over the Edge. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Gilbey, Ryan (28 January 2015). "Lucian Msamati: danger zone". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Staff writer (13 March 2008). "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency – Lucian Msamati Plays JLB Matekoni". BBC Online. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "Amadeus by Peter Shaffer", Olivier Theatre, National Theatre.
- Hutchison, David (12 November 2014). "Tiata Fahodzi names new artistic director". The Stage. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Shenton, Mark (12 February 2016), "Lucian Msamati: ‘Some people still see the colour, not the actor’", The Stage.
- Goldberg, Lesley (26 August 2011). "'Game of Thrones': Trio Join Sprawling Season 2 Cast". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- Database (n.d.). "Lucian Msamati". The Spotlight. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "Burned to Nothing, Afternoon Drama - BBC Radio 4". BBC.
|This article about a British actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|