|License||Free & paid subscriptions|
- 1 Company history
- 2 Product features
- 3 Mac compatibility
- 4 Integrations
- 5 Educational initiative
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In December 2008, Lucid Software Inc., a startup based in Salt Lake City, Utah, first announced its Lucidchart visual collaboration platform as a public beta version. The current major revision of Lucidchart was released on 31 July 2010.
"Lucidchart is a graphically-rich web application that makes working on a diagram with your entire team a simple matter. The tool is effectively an online alternative to Microsoft Visio."
In April 2010, Lucidchart became available in the Google Apps Marketplace. In December 2010, Lucidchart was included as a featured application in the launch of the Chrome Web Store, where it became the top paid application.
In summer 2013, Lucid released its Chrome Packaged App to the Chrome Web Store, which allowed users to work offline and sync their documents.
LucidChart also received the Start2Cloud Editor's Choice award.
Lucidchart features a drag-and-drop interface and real-time collaboration capabilities. In addition to working on major operating systems like Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, Lucidchart is also functional on the iPad through an optimized iPad application. On the iPad, Lucidchart allows users to touch-draw shapes which are automatically converted to standard symbols.
Lucidchart is cloud-based, so it requires no downloads or software updates. Work is saved automatically in the cloud, and multiple users can work simultaneously on a single document, similar to the way Google Drive functions.
Lucidchart employs a variety of collaboration features, including in-editor chat, comments, and video chat, and real-time collaboration with other editors.
Document publication options
Lucidchart also allows publishing the diagrams to web and share it with others via email and generated link.
Lucidchart allows printing to vector PDFs as well as raster JPEG and PNG images.
Lucidchart has a large collection of industry-standard shape libraries. These libraries include shapes and templates for:
- Network diagrams
- Circuit diagrams
- Floor plans
- Mind maps
- Org charts
- Venn diagrams
Lucidchart also has a variety of customization choices. SVG import allows users to make their own shape libraries. Users can also freely alter existing shapes, lines, and templates, as well as uploading custom images to add to their charts.
Import file support
In 2011, Lucidchart became the first web-based application to offer compatibility with Microsoft Visio, the leading desktop application for diagramming. Lucidchart also supports the Omnigraffle file type *.graffle for Omnigraffle 6 and Omnigraffle 6 Pro.
Lucidchart is a commonly adopted tool among Mac users, in part because there is no Microsoft Visio available for Mac. Popular shape libraries among Mac users include flowcharts and org charts. In 2013, Lucidchart released a native iPad app.
Lucidchart's Google integrations include a fully supported functionality within Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Sheets, an offline app, and an enterprise-level version for team accounts through Google for Work. Lucidchart app is consistently highly rated on the Chrome Webstore. Lucidchart has also released a Visio viewer extension and an OmniGraffle viewer extension through the Chrome Webstore.
Lucidchart's other integrations include Jive, Box, and Microsoft Office 2013, and Slack. They also support multiple SAML integration providers for enterprise-level accounts.
For all educational users (both K-12 and higher education), Lucidchart provides free premium accounts. Students and faculty can sign up individually for accounts with their .edu email address, and schools can also provide Lucidchart accounts directly to their student body.
- Purdy, Kevin (17 December 2008). "Lucidchart Makes Stripped-Down Flowcharts for Free". LifeHacker.
- Swain, Darrell (31 July 2010). "Lucidchart 2.0". Lucid Software Inc.
- Empson, Rip (26 July 2011). "Lucidchart Nabs $1 Million From 500 Startups, 2M Companies, And K9 Ventures". Techcrunch.
- Silverman, Matt (15 April 2011). "5 Simple Web Apps For Saving Time at Work". Mashable.
- Titlow, John Paul (13 May 2011). "Create Flow Charts and Wireframes Collaboratively With Lucidchart". ReadWriteWeb.
- Strohmeyer, Robert (14 June 2011). "Lucidchart Steps Up Online Business Diagrams". PC World.
- Bram, Thursday (1 October 2010). "Sharing Flowcharts and Diagrams With Lucidchart". GigaOM.
- Purdy, Kevin (15 April 2010). "Lucidchart and Creately Plug Flowchart Tools into Google Apps". LifeHacker.
- Lucidchart (8 December 2010). "Lucidchart’s Diagramming Application Featured in the New Google Chrome Web Store". BusinessWire.
- Start2Cloud (18 April 2014). "Start2Cloud Editors Choice, Spring 2014". Start2Cloud.
- Broida, Rick (18 December 2008). "Create and Share Flow Charts with Lucidchart". Bnet.
- Guay, Matthew (21 June 2011). "Lucidchart: Awesome Charting Got Even Better". AppStorm.
- "Choose Collaboration Software in 3 Steps". Lucidchart. 13 March 2015.
- Bowman, Brett (24 May 2013). "Sharing files and folders". Lucidchart.
- "Free Flowchart Software & Examples". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Lucidchart.com" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Free Network Diagram Software & Network Diagram Examples". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Business Process Modeling Software and BPMN Examples". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Circuit diagrams". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Floor plan software | House plan generator". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Free UML Tool to Draw UML Diagrams". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "iPhone Mockup Tool". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Wireframe Software and Wireframe Examples". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Free Mind Mapping Software | Mind Mapping Tool". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Free Org Chart Software and Organizational Chart Examples". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Free ER Diagram Tool". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Venn Diagram Maker - Online". Lucidchart. 19 March 2015.
- "Omnigraffle for PC". Lucidchart. 22 Feb 2015.
- "Lucidchart might soon be replacing Visio on your Mac". Cult of Mac. 20 Mar 2015.
- "Alternative to Microsoft Visio for Mac download". Lucidchart. 20 Mar 2015.
- "Flowchart Software for Mac". Lucidchart. 20 Mar 2015.
- "Org Chart Software for Mac". Lucidchart. 20 Mar 2015.
- Lucidchart - Diagrams done right on iTunes Preview
- "Lucidchart Plugin for Confluence". Lucidchart. 19 Mar 2015.
- "Lucidchart Plugin for JIRA". Lucidchart. 19 Mar 2015.
- "Lucidchart Diagrams - Online". Lucidchart. 19 Mar 2015.
- "Free Visio Viewer (Mac, Windows, Linux)". Lucidchart. 19 Mar 2015.
- "Free OmniGraffle (.graffle) Viewer". Lucidchart. 19 Mar 2015.
- "Free Educational Accounts for Students". Lucidchart. 19 Mar 2015.