Lucius Caecilius Metellus Denter
Fischer, in his Römische Zeittafeln, has him as praetor and also dying in 285 BC, and in the year following he has him again as consul. Wilhelm Drumann denies the identity of the consul and the praetor, on the ground that it was not customary for a person to hold the praetorship the year after his consulship; but examples of such a mode of proceeding do occur, so Drumann's objection fails.
Denter may have been the father of Lucius Caecilius Metellus, consul in 251 and 247 BC. The latter's filiation is given as "L. f. C. n.", the son of Lucius and grandson of Gaius. In this case, Denter's father would have been Gaius Caecilius Metellus. An alternative hypothesis makes him the son or nephew of a Quintus Caecilius, supposedly tribune of the plebs in 316 BC. No corresponding individual appears in The Magistrates of the Roman Republic, or in the Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.
- Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita Epitome, 12.
- Paulus Orosius, Historiarum Adversum Paganos Libri VII, iii. 22.
- Polybius, The Histories, ii. 19.
- Fast. Sicul.
- E.W. Fischer, Römische Zeittafeln (1846).
- Drumann, Geschichte Roms, ii. 18.
- Titus Livius, Ab Urbe Condita, x. 22 (Appius Claudius Caecus was praetor in 295 B.C., having held the consulship in 296).
- T. Robert S. Broughton, The Magistrates of the Roman Republic (1952).
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology, William Smith, Editor.
- JSTOR: Classical Quarterly: New Series, Vol. 22, No. 2 (Nov., 1972), pp. 309-325
- Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology, page 993 (v. 1)
Gaius Claudius Canina,
and Marcus Aemilius Lepidus
| Consul of the Roman Republic
with Gaius Servilius Tucca
Gaius Servilius Tucca,
and Manius Curius Dentatus II
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1870). "article name needed". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.
|This article about an Ancient Roman politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|