||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013)|
A page 118 of Julius Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico with description of actions of T. Pulfio & L. Varenus
|Unit||Legio XI Claudia|
He appears, along with Pullo, in Caesar's Commentarii de Bello Gallico, Book 5, Chapter 44. The episode describes the two as centurions, approaching the first ranks, who shared a bitter personal rivalry. It relates how Pullo charged the enemy (the Nervii) in the heat of battle. Pullo casts his javelin into one of the enemy from a short distance, but his belt is simultaneously pierced by a spear, preventing him from drawing his sword, and he is surrounded by other Nervii. Just then L. Vorenus, following Pullo from the fortifications, reached the site of the mêlée and engaged the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. After slaying one of the enemy and driving back the rest, Vorenus lost his footing on the irregular terrain. As the Nervii drew closer to him, Pullo came to his rescue. After slaying many of their opponents, the two retreated to the fortifications amidst roaring applause from their comrades.
- Lucius Vorenus is a principal character in the HBO/BBC/RAI original television series Rome, played by actor Kevin McKidd. The character's name is taken from Julius Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War and is instead depicted as a centurion in the 13th Legion (Legio XIII Gemina).
- Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo are also minor characters in Caesar, the fifth book in Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. They are shown as centurions, serving under Quintus Cicero, commander of the Ninth Legion (Legio IX Hispana).
- Vorenus also appears in the Legion tetralogy of the Videssos Cycle by Harry Turtledove. The novels recount the adventures of several maniples of Caesar's legions in Gaul that are whisked away by druid spells to a land of magic loosely based on the Byzantine Empire. The two companions are fairly faithful to Caesar's portrayal, starting as rival legionaries before rising to centurion rank and becoming fast friends.
- Vorenus is a main character in Michael Livingston's 2015 historical fantasy novel The Shards of Heaven.
- "The Shards of Heaven by Michael Livingston". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Review: The Shards of Heaven by Michael Livingston". Kirkus Reviews. September 3, 2015. Retrieved January 29, 2016.