Lucky (Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat song)
|Single by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat|
|from the album We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. and Breakthrough: European edition|
|Released||January 13, 2009|
|Genre||Pop rock, acoustic rock|
|Writer(s)||Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat, Timothy Fagan|
|Jason Mraz singles chronology|
"Lucky" is a song by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat. It is the third single from Mraz's third studio album We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things. The song has been on the Billboard charts as well as on the other music charts worldwide.
A Spanish version of the song, called "Suerte", was recorded alongside Mexican singer Ximena Sariñana for the Latin American and Spanish re-edition of the album. Mraz and Caillat won the 2010 Grammy Award for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals. Mraz and Lil Wayne also did a remix of the song "Lucky" and later was released on Z100. Brooke Elliott performed a karaoke version of the song on a 2009 episode of Drop Dead Diva. Dianna Agron and Chord Overstreet performed the song on a 2010 episode of Glee.
Conception and performances
Mraz became a fan of Caillat after hearing her music on MySpace. He then called her to see if she'd want to write and sing together. In an interview with VH1, Mraz stated that he "played a songwriting game" with friends to see how the lyrics would go. Mraz and Caillat performed the song on Saturday Night Live on January 31, 2009. They performed the song again on The Ellen DeGeneres Show in February.
"Lucky" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 96 for the issue dated January 31, 2009. On the same week it had a debut on the Pop 100 chart at 84 and moved to a peak of 48. The next week the song rose to number 84 on the Hot 100 and peaked at number 48. On the Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks, the song is already a Top 10 hit, reaching #9.
The song has also charted on the Dutch Top 40 at number 27 and moved to peak of 8.
The video was shot in Prague, Czech Republic and the island of Kauai in Hawaii and was released January 16, 2009. Mraz and Caillat's parts in the video were filmed separately. The video follows the context of the song, featuring Mraz and Caillat singing their verses.
The video starts with a shot of Old Town city square in Prague. Mraz is shown getting ready to meet somebody. Caillat is in a hilly seaside area in Hawaii and sits on the beach as the song starts. Mraz gets ready and goes out to the square. Caillat continues to sing the song walking beside the sea and playing with her scarf. Mraz and Caillat sing the song with both in separate places. Scenes are interspersed with the scene of a car zooming inside and Mraz ultimately reaches Old Town Square in Prague and stands in front of the Jan Hus Memorial Statue. Both Mraz and Caillat look back and the video ends with the implication that both of them see one another.
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||20,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Graba Ximena Sariñana video de la suerte". esmas. 2009-05-22. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Brooke Elliott sings 'Lucky".
- Wilkening, Matthew (October 7, 2010). "'Glee' Cast, 'Lucky' -- New Song From 'Duets'". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved October 10, 2010.
- "Jason Mraz: Acoustic Spin on "Lucky"". VH1. 2009-03-25. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "Jason Mraz Brings Sunny Vibe to Chilly New York for "Saturday Night Live"". Rolling Stone. 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- Lucky on world charts
- "New Video: Jason Mraz with Colbie Caillat: "Lucky"". Buzzworthy. MTV. 2009-01-16. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "Jason Mraz Official Website: Music video for Lucky". Jason Mraz.com. Retrieved 2009-02-05.
- Music video of Lucky
- "Dutch Top 40". Ultratop.be. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart (Week: January 15, 2012 to January 21, 2012)". Gaon Chart. December 15, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Chart Log UK (1994–2010): M – My Vitriol". zobbel.de. Retrieved July 29, 2014.
- "2009 Year End Swiss Singles Chart". Swiss Music Charts. 2009. Retrieved 2010-07-16.
- "Canadian single certifications – Jason Mraz – Lucky". Music Canada.
- "American single certifications – Jason Mraz – Lucky". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Jason Mraz Featuring Ximena Sariñana- Lucky at Youtube.com