|Industry||Mobile virtual network operator|
|Founded||December 4, 2017|
|19 Canadian metro areas|
|Products||Budget Android smartphones, flip phones, SIM cards|
|Services||3G data, SMS, mobile calling|
Lucky Mobile is a Canadian prepaid mobile virtual network operator and a subsidiary of BCE Inc. Founded in December 2017, Lucky Mobile operates on the Bell Mobility network alongside fellow subsidiary Virgin Mobile Canada. It targets the same market segment as discount mobile brands Chatr (owned by Rogers Communications) and Public Mobile (owned by Telus).
After being announced on December 1, 2017, Lucky Mobile launched on December 4. At launch, the network is available for users in 17 metro areas in Canada. The launch was viewed as a way for BCE to compete with the discount mobile brands Chatr and Public Mobile operated by its competitors Rogers Communications and Telus, respectively. Like Chatr, Lucky Mobile offers a limited selection of low end smartphones for sale outright. In March 2018, the carrier's service area expanded to include Saskatchewan and Manitoba.
Lucky Mobile operates as a mobile virtual network operator offering pre-paid calling, texting, and "3G-like" throttled speed data running on Bell Mobility's 4G network with pre-paid plans in select Canadian markets. In independent speed tests conducted in April 2018, although the Lucky Mobile network shows as 4G on users’ mobile phones, speed tests show maximum download speeds around 3 Mbps which would indicate that speeds on the Lucky Mobile network are indeed throttled.
Lucky Mobile SIM cards are sold in Visions Electronics , Walmart, Glentel, The Source and Dollarama locations. In addition, customers can also order cards by phone or on the company's website. At launch, the company does not operate any stand-alone locations.
- "Lucky Mobile Will Be Bell's New Discount Wireless Brand". HuffPost Canada. 1 November 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Jackson, Emily (December 4, 2017). "Bell's politically astute Lucky Mobile launch aims to grab market share from low-cost Rogers, Telus brands". Financial Post. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- Ng, Gary (1 December 2017). "Bell to Launch 'Lucky Mobile' Prepaid Wireless Service on Dec. 4". iPhone in Canada. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Behar, Rose (1 December 2017). "Bell launching new prepaid wireless brand called Lucky Mobile". MobileSyrup. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Ylanen, Ayla (12 March 2018). "Lucky Mobile Expands to Saskatchewan and Manitoba". Compare Cellular. Retrieved 29 March 2018.
- "Lucky Mobile - Review on Coverage, LTE, Phones, Plans & More!". Tech Daily. 2018-04-11. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- Jackson, Emily (1 December 2017). "Bell to launch low-cost wireless carrier called Lucky Mobile — offering $20 plans". Financial Post. Retrieved 3 December 2017.