|Single by Ryan Adams|
|from the album Ashes & Fire|
|Label||PAX AM, Capitol Records|
|Ryan Adams singles chronology|
"Lucky Now" is a song by alt country singer-songwriter Ryan Adams, and the lead single from his studio album Ashes & Fire. According to Adams, the single is based upon "my time in New York in my twenties."
Background and composition
It was a difficult song to write. The first version was called "Chris". I was trying to write a song for my friend and former bandmate who passed away. The song I wrote was too direct, and I realised that there needed to be more self-reflection. I needed to make this feeling relatable to others, so that it could be relatable back to myself. In some strange way, it needed to be more altruistic, by being more first-person. It's a very strange concept, but when I listen to songs, I need to feel the narrator's shoes rubbing against my feet, you know? I needed to put myself in that place."
Adams elaborated further, "It's the second draft of the song that I wrote for Chris Feinstien. [...] I think it was really fantastic, it was a good thing for me to write. Eventually, because I sat around with it, "Lucky Now" came around."
- Drums: Jeremy Stacey
- Bass: Gus Seyffert
- Piano: Norah Jones
- B3 Hammond: Benmont Tench
- Guitars: Ryan Adams
|US Adult Alternative Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Hot Rock Songs (Billboard)||38|
- "BBC Radio 2 - Simon Mayo Drivetime, 30/08/2011". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-08-30. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "BBC Radio 6 Music - Lauren Laverne, Andrew Collins sits in". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Ryan Adams Chart History (Adult Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- "Ryan Adams Chart History (Hot Rock Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 4 June 2014.