(Bachelor of Arts in Social Science)
Uganda Management Institute
(Certificate in Database Management Systems)
Uganda Martyrs University
(Master of Arts in Development Stufdies)
|Occupation||Social worker & Politician|
|Years active||2005 to present|
Lucy Akello is a Ugandan social worker and politician, who serves as the elected member of parliament for the Amuru District Women's Constituency in the 10th Parliament (2016 to 2021). She is a member of the opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC), and she serves as the shadow minister for labour, gender and social development.
Background and education
Akello attended Olwal Ocaja Primary School, later she attended Lacor Primary School, Mary Immaculate Primary School Gulu and Kyambogo Primary School for her Primary Leaving Certificate. She then attended Iganga Secondary School for her O-Level studies and then to Uganda Martyrs' Secondary School Namugongo, where she completed her A-Level education. She was admitted to Makerere University, in Kampala, where she graduated in 2004, with a Bachelor of Arts in Social Science. Later, in 2011, she obtained a Master of Arts in Development Studies, from Uganda Martyrs University in Nkozi, Wakiso District.
In 2005, she was hired by Justice & Peace Commission (JPC), a local non-government organization within the Catholic Church that promotes peace and reconciliation in war-torn Northern Uganda. She worked there for ten years, beginning as a program officer, then as a program manager and from 2006 until 2014, as the executive director. Her focus was on human rights, land rights, women rights and children’s rights.
In October 2014, Betty Bigombe, the Amuru District Women's member of parliament resigned to take up an appointment at the World Bank, in Washington, DC. A special election was organised to fill her seat in December 2014. Akello, running on the opposition FDC political party ticket, beat seven other candidates and won. During the 2016 parliamentary election, she ran successfully, again on the FDC ticket. She spoke 30 times during the first year of the 10th Parliament.
Akello is a married mother.
- POUG (20 November 2017). "Parliament of Uganda: Members of The 10th Parliament: Akello Lucy". Kampala: Parliament of Uganda (POUG). Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- 93.3 KFM (7 December 2014). "Lucy Akello to be sworn in as new Amuru Woman MP on Tuesday". Kampala: Kfm.co.ug (93.3 KFM). Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Nafula, Anna (22 June 2016). "The FDC shadow cabinet list out". Kampala: Capitalradio.co.ug (Uganda Capital FM). Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Sadab Kitatta Kaaya (14 December 2014). "New Amuru broom speaks out". The Observer (Uganda). Kampala. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Staff Writer (3 October 2014). "Bigombe Resigns As Amuru MP". Red Pepper. Mukono. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Owich, James; Makumbi, Cissy (1 January 2015). "Amuru Woman MP sued over election". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- NTV Uganda (22 November 2014). "FDC's Lucy Akello wins Amuru Woman MP by-election". Kampala: NTV Uganda. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Otto, Alex (22 January 2016). "TDA Withdraws Support From Amuru Woman MP". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Ocaido, Patrick (17 July 2017). "Most Silent, Active MPs Named". Kampala: Uganda7.com.