|Alma mater||Duke University
|Genre||Literary fiction, Avant-garde fiction|
|Notable awards||Creative Writing Fellowship, National Endowment for the Arts, 2015
Rome Prize, (2012)
Pushcart Prize nominee,1994, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Yaddo Residency, 2010
Lucy Corin is an American novelist and short story writer. The winner of the 2012 American Academy of Arts and Letters John Guare Writer's Fund Rome Prize, Corin was awarded a National Endowment for the Arts creative writing fellowship in 2015.
Her collection of short stories, One Hundred Apolcalypses and Other Apocalypses, was published by McSweeney's in 2013. Bustle wrote: "Corin caters to our fascination with neuroses and habits, and by exaggerating aspects of our thought processes and societal quirks, she leaves us thinking deeply about parts of humanity we don't often examine under a magnifying glass." A review by Jonathan Deuel in the Los Angeles Review of Books read: "The dreamy, fairy-tale qualities and allegorical ambitions of these stories are tempered with sophistication and terror, making One Hundred Apocalypses and Other Apocalypses ageless...I'm frightened by Corin. I'm dazzled by her writing."
Corin's stories have appeared in The Mid-American Review, Conjunctions, Tin House, Ploughshares, PEN America, and the Iowa Review. She is anthologized in the 1994 Iowa Anthology of Innovative Fiction and both the 1997 and 2003 editions of New Stories From the South and "Madmen," originally published in "One Hundred Apolcalypses," was included in the 2015 anthology, New American Stories, edited by Ben Marcus. Her novel, Everyday Psychokillers: A History for Girls was published in 2004 by FC2. Her short story collection, The Entire Predicament was published in 2007 by Tin House Books.
Awards and distinctions
- National Endowment for the Arts, Creative writing fellowship, 2015
- American Academy of Arts and Letters John Guare Writer’s Fund Rome Prize, 2012
- Yaddo Residency, 2010
- Margaret Bridgman Fellow in Fiction, Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, 2008
- Walter E. Dakin Fellow, Sewanee Writers’ Conference, 2006
- 100 Apocalypses and Other Apocalypses (short story collection) McSweeney's, September 2013 ISBN 9781938073335
- The Entire Predicament (short story collection) Portland, OR: Tin House Books. 2007 ISBN 978-0-9776989-8-1
- Everyday Psychokillers: A History for Girls (novel) Tallahassee: FC2. 2004 ISBN 1-57366-112-0
- Lucy Corin's Essay at Largehearted Boy: Book Notes
- Seven Small Apocalypses, PEN.org
- Excerpt from The Entire Predicament
- "2012 John Guare Writer's Fund Rome Prize, a gift of Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman". 2012. American Academy. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Tinloy, Marissa. "HONEST SPACE: AN INTERVIEW WITH LUCY CORIN". February 4, 2013. The PEN Center USA. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Thomas, Kelsey (August 14, 2013). "Lucy Corin's Short Story Collection, 'One Hundred Apocalypses and Other Apocalypses,' Addresses the Disturbing Playfully". Bustle. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Dueul, Jonathan (October 30, 2013). "Boats Are in Trees and Photocopiers Are on the Beach: Lucy Corin's "One Hundred Apocalypses and Other Apocalypses"". Los Angeles Review of Books. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Lasdun, James (August 12, 2015). "New American Stories edited by Ben Marcus review – a landmark anthology". The Guardian. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Kumamoto, Akira Olivia. "Creative Writing Program names new director". October 24, 2013. The Aggie. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Lucy Corin". 2013. UC Davis. Retrieved 11 January 2014.