18 September 1959 or
18 September 1960
|Died||23 July 2018 (aged 57) or|
23 July 2018 (aged 58)
|Other names||Lucy Ferry|
(m. 1982; div. 2003)
(m. 2006; died 2018)
|Relatives||Otis Ferry (son)|
She attended convent school and began fox-hunting at the age of twelve.
Birley (then Helmore) began her career as a fashion model in her late teens. She worked with many noted photographers, including Steven Meisel and Robert Mapplethorpe. Her distinctive sense of style influenced designers such as Christian Lacroix, Manolo Blahnik and Philip Treacy.
As a photographer she worked solely with manual cameras and favored a twin-lens Rolleiflex camera. Birley developed her own film and exhibited her work in London. Some of her subjects were Damien Hirst and Isabella Blow.
On 26 June 1982, at the age of twenty two she married Bryan Ferry at the Church of St Anthony and St George at Duncton, West Sussex. They had four sons: Otis, Isaac, Tara, and Merlin. They divorced on 31 March 2003.
She died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on 23 July 2018, aged 58, while on holiday in Ireland following what was described by her brother Ed Helmore as "a long battle with depression". Her husband announced her death in a joint statement with her children: "On Monday Lucy Birley (nee Helmore) passed away whilst on holiday in Ireland, surrounded by her beloved dogs, Daisy, Peg and Daphne. Her husband Robin, and her sons – Otis, Isaac, Tara and Merlin – are understandably devastated and request that their privacy be respected during this difficult time".
- "Lucy Birley: Model, photographer and pro-hunting campaigner". The Independent. 31 July 2018. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- Powell, Tom (24 July 2018). "Bryan Ferry's ex-wife Lucy Birley dies on holiday aged 58". Evening Standard.
- "Lucy Birley, model, socialite and former wife of Bryan Ferry, dies at 58". Tatler. 18 July 2018. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- Day, Elizabeth (15 May 2011). "Lucy Birley: 'I didn't want to be put in the spotlight'". The Observer. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916-2007
- Egan, Barry (29 July 2018). "A sad farewell to the loveliest girl". Independent.ie. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- "Inquest hears of lodge blaze death". The Irish Times. 6 February 1998. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- "Faces of the week". BBC NEWS. 24 September 2004.
- Betts, Hannah (26 July 2018). "The sadness of the gilded society Set". The Daily Telegraph. pp. 21–22.
- Obituary: Lucy Birley: Model, photographer and pro-hunting campaigner The Independent 31 July 2018