Lucy Taxis Shoe Meritt
Lucy Taxis Shoe Meritt (born August 7, 1906, in Camden, New Jersey; died Austin, Texas, April 13, 2003) was a classical archaeologist and a scholar of Greek architectural ornamentation and mouldings.
Lucy Shoe Meritt studied at Bryn Mawr College (A.B. 1927, M.A. 1928, Ph.D. 1935). She studied at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens from 1929 to 1934. From 1937 to 1950 Meritt taught at Mount Holyoke College. She was twice a fellow of the American Academy in Rome (1937 and 1950). She married Benjamin Dean Meritt at Princeton, New Jersey, in 1964. She worked at the Roman site of Cosa and at Serra Orlando (Morgantina) in Sicily. She served as editor of publications for the American School of Classical Studies in Athens from 1950 until 1972. In 1972, with her husband, Benjamin Dean Meritt's appointment to a professorship at the University of Texas at Austin, she moved to Austin, Texas, and was a Visiting Scholar at the University of Texas at Austin from 1973 until her death. Meritt received the Gold Medal Award for Distinguished Archaeological Achievement in 1977 from the Archaeological Institute of America.
- Profiles of Greek Mouldings (1936).
- Profiles of Western Greek Mouldings (1952).
- Etruscan and Roman Republican Mouldings (1965).
- History of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 1939-1980 (1984)
- Etruscan and Republican Roman Mouldings (expanded ed., 2000) with Ingrid Edlund-Berry.
- Marilyn Bailey Ogilvie; Joy Dorothy Harvey (2000). The Biographical Dictionary of Women in Science: L-Z. Taylor & Francis. pp. 885–. ISBN 978-0-415-92040-7.
- Homer A. Thompson. Benjamin Dean Meritt (March 31, 1899-July 7, 1989) Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, Vol. 135, No. 1 (Mar., 1991), pp. 110-115, p. 111
- Gold Medal Award for Distinguished Archaeological Achievement http://www.archaeological.org/awards/goldmedal
- Lucy Taxis Shoe; Lucy Shoe Meritt (1936). Profiles of Greek Mouldings. Harvard University Press.
- Lucy T. Shoe (1952). Profiles of Western Greek Mouldings: Text. American Academy in Rome.
- Lucy T. Shoe Merritt; Ingrid E. M. Edlund-Berry (1 June 2002). Etruscan and Republican Roman Mouldings. University of Texas Press. ISBN 978-0-292-75271-9.
- Lucy Shoe Meritt: An Inventory of her Collection, Including Manuscripts, Original Drawings, Plates, and Photographs, 1929-1970, 1995-1997
- Finding Aid to the Lucy T. Shoe Meritt Papers at Bryn Mawr College
|This biographical article about an American archaeologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|