St Mary the Virgin parish church
|Ludgershall shown within Buckinghamshire|
|Population||409 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Website||Ludgershall Village Buckinghamshire|
Ludgershall is a village and civil parish in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire, England. It is near the boundary with Oxfordshire, about 5.5 miles (9 km) south-east of Bicester and 5 miles (8 km) west of Waddesdon.
The toponym is said to be derived from the Old English for "nook with a trapping spear" but this is disputed. It occurs in more than one place in England (see Ludgershall (disambiguation)). The Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Litlegarsele. The place spelt at Lotegarshale, seen in 1381, may refer to the Buckinghamshire village, or the one in Wiltshire.
Henry II granted land in the parish to the priory of Santingfeld in Picardy, France. It is possible that a hospital was founded on this land, although it is uncertain. In the reign of Henry VI, when all alien church possessions were seized by the Crown, this land was given to King's College, Cambridge.
Ludgershall Bike Night
The village plays host to an annual charity motorbike night, typically on the first Monday in July. The free to attend meet sees riders of vintage, classic and contemporary motorcycles gather on the village green. The event is attended by multiple motorcycle clubs and enthusiasts alike.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics 2011 Census". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- Tengstrand, Erik (1940). Genitival Composition in Old English Place-names. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells. p. 219.
- Ekwall, Eilert (1960). The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-names (4th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. 306–307. ISBN 0-19-869103-3.
- Plea Rolls of the Court of Common Pleas; National Archives; CP 40/483; http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no483/483_0241.htm ; 5 entry
- Page 1905, p. 395.
- "King's College Estates Records" (Microsoft Word document). King's College, University of Cambridge. Retrieved 30 October 2007.
- Page 1927, pp. 68–73.
- "Ludgershall Bike Night". Retrieved 2015-06-29.
Sources & further reading
- Page, William, ed. (1905). "Hospitals: Ludgershall". A History of the County of Buckingham, Volume 1. Victoria County History. p. 395.
- Page, William, ed. (1927). "Ludgershall with Kingswood". A History of the County of Buckingham, Volume 4. Victoria County History. pp. 68–73.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1973) . Buckinghamshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 196–197. ISBN 0-14-071019-1.
Media related to Ludgershall, Buckinghamshire at Wikimedia Commons