Ludmila Yurina (born 16 January 1962) is a Ukrainian pianist and composer.
Ludmila Yurina was born in Uzyn, Ukraine, and graduated from Kiev Music College as a pianist in 1981 and from Kiev State P.I.Tchaikovsky Conservatoire as a composer in 1990, completing her post-graduate studies there in 1998.
In 1990–92, she was the Music Director of the theatre studios Kolo and ARS in Kiev. Since 1993, she has been a member and a coordinator of the Organizing Committee of the International Youth Music Forum in Kiev. In 1997 she was the Artistic Director of the Meta-Art Ukrainian Contemporary Art Festival in Kiev.
Since 1995, she has worked as Associate Professor of Department of composition at the National Music Academy of Ukraine specialising in composition and orchestration. She was an invited composer at the flute master-course at the Rheinsberg Music Academy in Germany in 1999, was invited to give a lecture about contemporary Ukrainian music to Rheinsberg Music Academy in 1999, Staatliche Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst in Stuttgart in 2006, and to Texas Christian University in 2008,2011.
Yurina's creative residences include:
- Künstlerhof Schreyahn, Germany, 1998;
- Experimental Electronic Music Studio of Südwestrundfunk (Heinrich-Strobel-Stiftung, Freiburg, Germany, 1999);
- Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Research, Science and Art (Baden-Baden, Germany, 2001);
- Visby International Centre for composers (or VICC) (Gotland, Sweden, 2005, 2006).
In 1999 her name was included in the reference book Who is Who (Delawar, USA).[full citation needed]
She participated in numerous international festivals; her works have been performed in Ukraine, Russia, Germany, France, USA, Italy, Finland, Estonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Poland, etc. She has actively collaborated with such wellknown German performers as pianist S. Eder, cellist M. Lorenz, trombonist Dirk Amrein, C.Levine,Sinfonietta Dresden,new music ensemble XelmYa, Ensemble Timbre Actuel. Her scores also were performed by MAVerick ensemble, Symphony orchestra of Northwestern University, Trio Ravus, Edo Frenkel, Laura Ospina (USA), Borealis Brass (Canada), Pierre-Stephane Meuge (France), Ivo Nilsson (Sweden), Orchestra of Ukrainian Television and Broadcasting company, National Symphony Orchestra of Ukraine, "Kyiv Camerata", new music ensemble "Ricochet", percussion ensemble ARS NOVA, TanzLaboratorium Dance Company, Duo Violoncelissimo, new music ensemble “Sed Contra”, Eugene Gromov (Ukraine).
Recordings of her music were produced on the CD Two Days and Two Nights of New Music: Festivals 1998–2000 and by Radio Deutsche Welle (Germany),Ukrainian Independent Radio (Chicago,USA), WPRB (Princetone, USA),Canadian broadcasting (Edmonton) and the Ukrainian National TV and Radio Company. Her works were published by Muzychna Ukrajina Publishing House (Ukraine), Frederic Harris Music Publishing (Canada), "Furore Verlag","Certosa Verlag"( Germany), "TEM Taukay Edition" (Italy), "Terem-music Verlag"  ( Switzerland) and "Donemus"(Netherlands).
She is a Founder and Chairman of Association "Women in music" Ukraine (since 2002), member of the Honourable Committee "Donne in Musica" (Italy), member of the Ukrainian Composers’ Union.
Awards and grants
- Torneo Internationale di Musica TIM( Italy, 1999)
- Lyatoshynsky Award ( Ukraine`s Ministry of Culture,2008)
- Kosenko Award ( Ukraine`s Ministry of Culture,2014)
- Lysenko Award ( Ukraine`s Ministry of Culture,2016)
- Swedish Institute ( 2005,2006)
- Fulbright Foundation Grant (2010)
- "Geflimmer" , trio for Oboe, Clarinet and Bassoon: 6`(2014/16)
- "In Good Mood", Piano album for children (2016)
- Caricature , miniature for chamber ensemble :1`10
- Silicon Interferences for flute,clarinet,piano,violin and violoncello : 7`
- Lady Lazarus,monoopera for soprano and piano on texts S.Plath, J.Joyce and R.Bach : 25`
- Archipelago (dedicated to John Chowning) for piano and live-electronic : 8`
- Drift (dedicated to Jon Appleton) for string orchestra, piano and percussions : 8`
- Trombon(o)per(a)Dirk for solo trombone : 7`
- Bird Bennu` Songs for flute, clarinet, violin and violoncello : 9`
- EXISTENZA… for electronic, video, and modern dance : 29`
- Hunting for Brother, music for radio-drama, text by V. Lyss : 10`
- Perseus-Betha-Algol for e-guitar with processor and electronic : 8` 40
- Pulsar for violin : 8`
- Initiation, cantata for baritone, mixed choir, and orchestra : 19` 30
- Crystal for symphony orchestra :9`
- Visions of St. John Baptist for string quartet : 8`
- Angel of White Day for Piano : 5`
- Incoming for symphony orchestra : 9`
- Shadows of deep dream for flute, oboe, piano, and cello : 11`20
- Topos Uranios for Harpsichord and live electronics: 8`
- Kashmir, version of "Led Zeppelin"’s song for symphony orchestra and rock instruments: 5`
- Waterdreams for Trombono, percussion, improvising Saxophono,video and pantomime: 11`
- Irrlicht for solo violoncello: 6'
- Klangillusion for flute, piano, and violoncello: 8'
- Quad, electronic music to S. Becket’s piece: 16'
- Shadows and Ghosts for piano: 5'
- Gemma for solo flute: 6'
- Funny Death on A. Ginsberg’s text for soprano, 2 microphones, and tam-tam: 5'
- Funny Death on A. Ginsberg’s text for 2 sopranos, 2 altos, 2 tenors, 2 baritones: 4`
- Glass-Elegy for piano: 8'
- Xing for trombone, percussion, piano, and contrabass: 10'
- Streams, film music: 8'
- As soon as possible… ("Jaknajskorish…") for solo oboe: 6'
- …end-less… for symphony orchestra: 8'
- Ein kleiner Marsch mit grossem Wecker for children’s percussion ensemble: 6'
- Distanzierung for 2 violoncellos: 8'
- S-re Beresciolo, chamber symphony (restoration and edition) for 2 oboes, chamber orchestra
- Ritornelli (dedicated to Valentin Silvestrov) for Piano: 5'
- The End of the Game or Provocations for clarinet, piano, violin, and violoncello: 7'
- Geometricum for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and horn : 14'
- Ekagrata for four groups of percussion: 15'
- Ran-Nan for 19 strings: 11'
- The Garden of the Shadows, film music: 12'
- Disintegrations for solo trombone: 8'
- Rao Noala for soprano, flute, vibraphone, piano, and violin: 11'
- 1987—1991 Jazz Fiesta, children’s piano album: 30'
- Concerto for solo trombone and symphony orchestra 17'
- Two Jazz Etudes for Children for piano: 2'
- 1984—1987 Ukrainian Echo, five pieces for piano: 6'
- Town and Country, three pieces for piano: 5'
- Welcome to Visby International Centre for Composers - a work and meeting place for composers Centre for Composers Accessed 20 November 2017
- "Yurina Ludmila" at terem-music.ch Accessed 20 November 2017
- Gabel, Gerald. 2008. "Fourteen Composers in Today's Ukraine". Ex Tempore 14, no. 1 (Spring-Summer): 57–107, TCU, Texas, USA
- О.Кизлова .Людмила ЮРИНА: «В Украине все новое требует неимоверных усилий» http://www.day.kiev.ua/ru/article/kultura/lyudmila-yurina-v-ukraine-vse-novoe-trebuet-neimovernyh-usiliy
- О.Берегова.Камерна музика українських композиторів у контексті художньо-стильових процесів 1990-2000 рр. (O.Beregova.Chamber music by Ukrainian composers in the context of artistic and stylistic processes of 1990-2000 yy.) http://knmau.com.ua/naukoviy_visnik/106/pdf/20.pdf
- О.Гуркова."Внутрішне світло музики Людмили Юріної" (O.Gurkova."Inner light of Ludmila Yurina`s music") http://mus.art.co.ua/vnutrishnje-svitlo-muzyky-lyudmyly-yurinoji/
- "Like Ulysses...", magazine "Art-Line" #9, 1996, Kyiv, Ukraine ;
- “Ukrainian women-composers in the world context" , “Scientific news” (National music Academy of Ukraine), issue 75, Kyiv, 2009 ;
- “About some problems of improvisation in music of Hans-Joachim Hespos” Kiev 2009
- "Helikopter-Streichquartett" of K. Stockhausen. The features of conception and performance, "Ukrainian musicology" # 42,NMAU 2016 http://knmau.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/20172501-muzykoznavstvo-42-14.pdf
- "About textural features of Helmut Lachenmann`s "Trio Fluido", Lviv, annual science issue, May, 2013
- "Modern Ukrainian Music: 1980 - 2000" - "EX TEMPORE" magazine, USA, 2008 http://www.ex-tempore.org/yurina.htm
- "Stepping by planet CCRMA" (in Ukrainian) http://mus.art.co.ua/krokuyuchy-planetoyu-karma/